Every other time that I reload a cached page the cache_render stat will say "n/a (first request?)". However, I know that the page is actually coming from cache because it looks different than an uncached page would look. This makes the statistics significantly less useful for debugging.

Comments

EvanDonovan’s picture

Strangely, it seems like this only happens in Firefox. The statistics work fine in Internet Explorer 7.

EvanDonovan’s picture

Actually, ignore what I said in #1. It seems like this issue is not browser-specific, nor am I convinced that is actually a statistics issue. I'm not actually sure if the pages are being served from the cache at all.

EvanDonovan’s picture

On some especially slow pages, it does seem to be making a visible difference though, so I *think* pages are being served from the cache.

Jonah Ellison’s picture

Assigned:Unassigned» Jonah Ellison

Yeah, I'm working on making that message give more meaningful information (such as telling why a page wasn't cached). You can always "view source" and check for the "authcacheFooter" JSON at the bottom.

Thanks for posting your other issues--I'll look into them in more detail this weekend.

EvanDonovan’s picture

Thanks. I was looking at the source and I saw "-1" under cache_render. The authcacheJSON footer was there, though.

nikemen’s picture

Same problem here!

Jonah Ellison’s picture

Status:Active» Fixed

Authcache beta7 has a lot of changes for displaying debugging information. Hopefully this will resolve this.

One issue is that Firefox 3 doesn't always update the cache_render cookie when a "Last-Modified" header is sent. (http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.setcookie.php#90616). I've changed the caching headers to use Etag instead.

Status:Fixed» Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.

ezra-g’s picture

Version:6.x-1.0-beta6» 6.x-6.x-dev
Status:Closed (fixed)» Active

I hate to re-open an a fixed issue, but I'm observing this problem -- cached pages contain the expected authcacheFooter with "-1" for cache_render but display a "n/a (first request?)" for cache_render under Authcahce Debug --- with the latest dev in Firefox 3.5.7, Safari 4.0.4 (5531.21.10), and interestingly, *not* for Google Chrome 4.0.249.43 on Mac OS. In chrome, the cache_render information is populated as expected.

This suggests that the problem mentioned in #7 may be affecting us again. I tried to go back and look at that original fix but this wasn't distinct from the other issues addressed in that commit. I could follow any pointers for troubleshooting this further.

ezra-g’s picture

Version:6.x-6.x-dev» 6.x-1.x-dev
Jonah Ellison’s picture

Status:Active» Closed (works as designed)

authcacheFooter will always display cache_render as -1 in the HTML. It's filled by the Authcache JS by looking at a cookie sent with cached pages when debug mode is enabled. (The DOM should then show the populated value with the cache render time.)