In continuing to learn more about Drupal, I enabled a few (3 or 4) of the core modules that came with the software to see what they would do. When a saved the configuration I got the error: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/coignite/public_html/university/includes/theme.inc on line 749.

I was just exploring, so I am not certain which modules I enabled to help narrow down the issue right now. The error now appears any time I try to access the Admin > Site Building > Modules page - the page will not load. So how can I undo what I did? How can I go back and disable those modules that are evidently having a problem?

I'm dead in the water until I solve this issue.

Thanks,

Comments

WorldFallz’s picture

Documentation -> Troubleshooting FAQ -> Error Messages -> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of X bytes exhausted (tried to allocate Y bytes)...

_
Don't be a Help Vampire - read and abide the forum guidelines.
If you find my assistance useful, please pay it forward to your fellow drupalers.

jeffryoung’s picture

Thank you for your help. I made the changes described in the documentation to both htaccess.php in the root directory and in settings.php in sites/default. I was careful to edit the permissions on settings.php, but even giving everyone write access to the file I cannot replace the file - it keeps giving me permission denied. I logged out of Drupal and waited awhile in case the file was locked by something I cannot see, but after 45 minutes I still cannot upload my edited settings.php back to the server. I have checked the permissions on the file too many times to mention. Ideas?

Jeffrey Young

WorldFallz’s picture

hmmm... i've never had that problem. That's probably an issue for your host though.

_
Don't be a Help Vampire - read and abide the forum guidelines.
If you find my assistance useful, please pay it forward to your fellow drupalers.

emtor’s picture

I've encountered the same error message many times when using joomla, and in my case the cause was my php.ini setting.
Change the php.ini setting for how much memory a script is allowed to use.
Look for the following line in php.ini:
memory_limit = 32M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (32MB)
. . . and change it to higher memory limit value.
If the site is located on a server, you need to make the webhost change the value in php.ini, or find some workaround.

yo-1’s picture

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem: after upgrading my Drupal to 6.13, accessing the 'Modules' page gives a memory exhausted message.

My memory is set at 32M, which is the maximum my provider allows for this hosting package.
So my problem is: I would like to disable some modules, but since I'm not able top access the modules page, I cannot........ And, I cannot increase my memory size...

So I'm just as dead in the water as jeffryoung......

Is there another way to disable one or more modules, without having to go through the Modules page. I already tried deleting an unused module from the contributions directory, but this did not solve the problem....

Chris Einkauf’s picture

You may have to directly modify the content of your mysql database. For me, my database is located at db.[mysitename].com, but it'll probably be different for you. I'm a little hazy right now about the exact table/record you need to modify, but I think it's in the drupal_system table or something like that. You'd just change the "enabled" or whatever value from 1 to 0.

I'd definitely recommend getting a second opinion about this. I'm no Drupal expert, and I've never done this myself.

WorldFallz’s picture

_
Don't be a Help Vampire - read and abide the forum guidelines.
If you find my assistance useful, please pay it forward to your fellow drupalers.