Web Links provides a comprehensive way to post links on your site. All links are nodes, which can be put into taxonomies/categories and administered. The most common options are set by default so the module should work well right out of the box. However, there is a great deal of customization that may also be done to make the installation fit your needs. Additionally, a variety of blocks may be enabled (see below).
The Link Validity Checker feature will check links during a Cron run to see if they are still valid. You may have the module update any links that are marked as moved and unpublish links that have returned an error twice in a row.
A separate filter module (distributed with the package) may be used to easily insert links into other content.
Originally sponsored by The Chicago Technology Cooperative
The core taxonomy module must be enabled.
- This module plays nicely with taxonomy_access/node_access allowing for various group and individual editing options. Administrators may also enable a "My Weblinks" page that displays which web links a user has submitted and what the publication status is for that link.
- Image Attach can be used to add images (such as logos) to the links.
- Taxonomy Image can be used to add images to the link groups
- Taxonomy Delegate can be used to allow non-admin roles the ability to maintain the Weblinks vocabulary.
- Views very basic support is available.
Category module appears to be incompatible with this module.
The Links module's database is incompatible and will not work with Weblinks.
Pages / Menu
Main Links Page
The page that will probably get the most use is the main links page at
/weblinks. A menu item is automatically created for this page.
Some people like to customize the way this page is named and referenced. It is a simple process:
- Update the menu title to be what you prefer, for example "Recommended Resources."
- Add a URL alias pointing to
weblinks, for example "resources.html".
The module provides an overview and basic maintenance page at
admin >> content >> weblinks. A menu item is automatically created for this page.
A block is created automatically for every weblink group that has links within it (this includes subgroups). These can be enabled individually as usual in the admin/block page.
Recent links show the most recently added/updated links.
The Unpublished block displays Weblinks content that is unpublished, for example, by the validity checker or because the admin defined it as not published so he/she can moderate it.
The Random block allows you to have one or more random links chosen to display, for example as a "Featured Link." You may specify how often this may be updated and it will be refreshed at the next page build following that time (even with block caching enabled). Because of the way Drupal does page caching it may not be refreshed for anonymous users if page caching is enabled.
Each block has additional customization options.