This tutorial, for beginning and intermediate Drupal programmers, includes basic and some advanced features of the Form API (example: multistep forms). Intermediate programmers may want to skip down to code sample #8. The tutorial includes the ability to copy and paste the following code snippets into a module for viewing and experimenting.
First, learn how to get the code snippets working. For an existing Drupal 6 site:
- Create a new directory in sites/all/modules and name it 'my_module'
- Create a file named my_module.info in the my_module directory with the following contents:
- Create a file and name it 'my_module.module'. Cut and paste the first code sample into the my_module.module file (note that it's preferable to omit the closing
- Enable the "My module" module on the administer/site building/modules page.
- Type the following in the browser address bar: http://yoursite_site_url/?q=my_module/form or http://yoursite_site_url/my_module/form depending on your configuration.
- For each code sample in the tutorial, completely replace the code in my_module.module with the new code snippet and type the following in the browser address bar: http://yoursite_site_url/?q=my_module/form or http://yoursite_site_url/my_module/form depending on your configuration.
name = My module description = Module for form api tutorial core = 6.x