We recently reviewed some changes to the download experience for projects on Drupal.org. For all modules, the goals of the experience change include:
- Better explain which recommended release is best for the given user by providing information about the state of that release
- Provide more context for release notes and list them alongside the download links
- Give context for which file type might be best for the user.
- Improve the likelihood of using Drupal by providing contextual links about next steps, including:
- installing the project
- links to training partners
- links to project documentation
Additionally, for core downloads, we have the following goals:
- Provide link to documentation for extending core
- Provide links to case studies using the same major version of core
- Give the option to try a demo of Drupal for users that expect a more seamless experience than the downloaded file can provide
Additionally, this new format will provide an opportunity to Drupal.org to help fund itself by allowing sponsorship of core releases similar to the homepage sponsorship program.