We have discussed switching to semantic versionning in the past, to get rid of the weird "oh aegir x.y is just alpha" ghost we keep on carrying around.

We have had 13 alpha/beta/rc releases in the 1.x release cycle, and again 10 such release in the 2.x release cycle. Those were silly, and blocked adoption.

We are thinking of releasing 3.0.0 as is, right now, as an "alpha" release (just *say* it's alpha in the release notes!) and quickly make a 3.0.1 with the bugfixes as necessary.

We are also thinking of releasing the 2.x branch using semantic versionning, so 2.0 becomes 2.0.0.


anarcat’s picture

helmo’s picture

I'm not entirely convinced this is worth the effort...

For Drush/provision modules I do see a small advantage, but less for hosting.

How would we handle this on Drupal.org with releases? Or do we tell everyone to just get it from a git tag?

I don't mind semantic versioning, but would hate to lose the ability to tie issues to a version.

anarcat’s picture

I don't see how semantic versionning would keep us from doing regular releases here... What am I missing?

anarcat’s picture

Oh I see - the release scripts just block us completely from making actual tarballs.

Well that's a pain.

helmo’s picture

I would support an issue to make drupal.org releases semantic versioning friendly ... Would be nice to get Drush back on D.o aswel.

anarcat’s picture

Version: 6.x-2.x-dev » 7.x-3.x-dev
Status: Active » Postponed

so I made a few comments on that epic thread, but I don't expect this to be resolved any time soon, unless we actually start hacking at d.o infrastructure ourselves. it may be easier for us to just migrate off to github or something, unfortunately. marking this as postponed to 3.x

ergonlogic’s picture

I posted #2189131: Update DrupalorgVersioncontrolLabelVersionMapperGit for semantic versioning in contrib against the the drupalorg project to hopefully help get this moving.

helmo’s picture

Assigned: anarcat » Unassigned

minor update on this. Jon created a 3.111 version of tasks extra

Jon Pugh’s picture

Status: Postponed » Active

Yep, it worked well. Learned the technique from OpenAtrium. You can put the "real version", (currently 3.11.1) in the release title, and in a release description that shows up on the project page.

Update system considers the latest release based on date.

I think we should really consider doing this now. There's nothing stopping us from tagging 3.12.0 as 7.x-3.120

Jon Pugh’s picture

Status: Active » Needs review

Would like some feedback on releasing the next version as 3.12.0 as tag7.x-3.120

OpenAtrium has been using semantically versioned releases on drupal.org since Jan 2015: https://www.drupal.org/project/openatrium/releases/7.x-2.30-rc1

Thoughts on switching now to 3.12.0? This will allow us to do patch releases for drupal core and contrib if needed.

helmo’s picture

I'm eager to try it ... but with a few reservations

- The release scripts might have to be adapted a bit
- I don't want to delay the release again
- Doing a release takes considerable time, so doing more release would need more volunteers or funding.

helmo’s picture

Status: Needs review » Fixed
helmo’s picture

Jon Pugh’s picture

Status: Fixed » Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed - issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.