This showcase is different from other showcases. Since the project is to create a generic theme that provide a concept design, high flexibility and easy customization ability to users; not for a specific business organization. We strive for a general method of building a site based on the predefined concept.
Drupal has been proved to be trustworthy when education institutions consider building their website. Large educational organizations such as: MIT, Arizona State University (http://asu.edu/), UC groups, UCLA groups… (you can find out more here https://groups.drupal.org/education-sites and here https://groups.drupal.org/node/8136). Being a professional Drupal theme club, we’d like to provide a sleek template for Drupal users that work on an education site development project with limited budget for design. Moreover, not limited to educational purpose only but surely any organization can take advantage of this high quality theme thanks to Drupal’s flexibility in customization.
We have been through many web design projects (~ 20) using Drupal as the CMS. Hence we just choose what we can do the best.
But well, instead answer why we chose Drupal for this project - let us tell you about why users when building an education website should choose Drupal and/or a Drupal theme like this.
First, good security. This might be a poor argument, but why do you think WhiteHouse picked Drupal over other CMSs? Gotta be a valid reason behind right?
Secondly, intensively scalable. Your school will grow in terms of number of students, lecturers/teachers, departments... it’s obviously your site will have increasing visits overtime, with Drupal making it possible for your site to handle high/huge traffic. Examiner.com, MTV.co.uk are good examples of high trafficked sites that use Drupal.
Last but not least, Drupal CMS is free and TB University’s price is also much cheaper comparing to hiring a designer and a Drupal developer to build a theme.
The objective of the project is to create a general Drupal theme for building academy/education organization’s site, responsive ready, capable of heavy content sites and large traffic.
Although the project team is small, we use Scrum to take advantage of its fast development cycle and strong adaptability to change.
In order to satisfy the requirements, we came up with a set of features/designs that are necessary to implement:
- Clean & clear design: Many education sites are cluttered, messy and poor in user-friendliness
- Multiple appearance forms of content: Carousel, Accordion, Slideshow, Quicktab...
- Responsive design: a must in nowaday web design since number of users using mobile & tablets has increased rapidly
- Exclusive content types & pages: Student, professor, course, event… are most essential content types for any university website
- User interaction: comment, post articles... are common features
- Homepage layout that is clear and well categorized. It’s important that visitors can easily get used to the site and utilize it to the fullest
- An extra version of TB University to show how versatile the theme can be. The design is pretty much the same but some changes bring a whole new look to it.
As usual, our project team for creating a theme is lean. It consists of 1 css, 1 developer, 1 QA/QC (she was in charge of both job), 1 designer.
Time line: 6 weeks (Please find the diagram below)