Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
I am searching for a development-platform for a customer. This is not for a one-time project but for future development, for websites, webservices, backend for existing systems, etc.
I always believed that the PHP-platform had the most options, but after having spent some time in various CMS solutions on .NET platform, I looks like that the CMS-systems are simply better on the .NET platform. This surprises me since we have more than 60+ CMS-systems on PHP according to wiki. I haven't look’ed through all tho. :) It is not possible to have experience on all systems so my comments may not be correct. So don’t hesitate to correct me if I am wrong.
My customer has following requirements:
1. It must be SOA. I would state that a webpage is nothing more than a client on equal terms like an app on i.e. Android.
2. It is essential that there exist some form of frontend-component-engine to speed up development.
3. It must implement the MVC-pattern to make development flexible and easy to maintain.
4. It must have web services, primarily REST/JSON.
5. It must have template-/theme-engine.
6. It must have support for data-providers.
7. It must have jQuery as base for both frontend and backend.
8. It must have unit-testing.
9. It must support a number of databases, in this situation MySQL, MS SQL, Azure SQL.
I am not trying to start a war of religion, but I need facts so I can advise my customer. And I hope you guys can point me in the right direction.
Is Drupal the right choice? And if yes, what modules do I need to reach the goal?