Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2013-066
- Project: Monster Menus (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x, 7.x
- Date: 2013-August-07
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Access bypass
Monster Menus enables you to create granular page permissions, and apply them to a hierarchical page structure. The mm_webform submodule enables you to assign permissions derived from Monster Menus to webform forms.
The module doesn't sufficiently filter titles entered into page settings and echoes the supplied title back to the next user editing the settings, thereby allowing a Cross Site Scripting attack (XSS). This issue only affects the 7.x branch.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have the ability to add pages to the Monster Menus tree, and must also entice another user to edit the settings of a maliciously-crafted page.
The mm_webform submodule doesn't correctly prohibit users with only "Who can read data submitted to this webform" permission from deleting webform submissions leading to an Access Bypass.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have an active login which is permitted to read a webform's submissions.
CVE identifier(s) issued
- CVE-2013-4229 (XSS)
- CVE-2013-4230 (Access bypass)
- Monster Menus 6.x-6.x versions prior to 6.x-6.61.
- Monster Menus 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.13.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Monster Menus module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Monster Menus module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Monster Menus 6.x-6.61
- If you use the Monster Menus module for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Monster Menus 7.x-1.13
Also see the Monster Menus project page.
- Five Colleges, Inc.
- Jay Dansand
- Dan Wilga the module maintainer
- Greg Knaddison of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.