Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
This recipe is a work in progress -- use with caution!
- Go to the Site Information page (Administer > Site Information). Make up a site name, set the time zone to your liking, etc.
- On the modules administration page (Administer > Modules), enable comment, menu, search, statistics, taxonomy, and upload modules.
- Now add a new content type (Administer > Content Types > Add).
- Set the name and type to podcast item, write a discription. The title field is fine, but change the body to something like show notes.
- Under default options check published. Check promoted to front page if you want every podcast item to show up on the front page. Uncheck sticky at top of lists. Check create new revision. Select whether or not you want people to be able to comment. Hit save.
- From the roles administration page (Administer > Roles), create a roll called podcaster.
- On the administer access control page (Administer > Access Control), add the following permissions for podcaster: create podcast item content, edit own podcast item content, view post access counter, and upload files. Make sure that anonymous, and authenticated roles can view upload files.
- On the administer uploads page (Administer > File Uploads), add MP3 ogg, flac, and acc or any other audio types you want to permitted file extensions under podcaster. Also you want to increase the maximum file size and the total file size to appropriate values.
- Create a vocabulary (Administer > Categories > Add Vocabulary). The name is podcasts. It should apply to podcast_item. You want hierarchy to be disabled. Check required (and nothing else). When you save, you will be brought to a list of existing vocabularies.
- From the administer categories page (Administer > Categories), click "add terms" next to podcast. Create a term for the name of each podcast channel. (For example: sports, news, and local)
- Have the person or people creating podcasts make accounts. Do not use your first user, it should only be used for administration tasks.
- Go to the administer users page (Administer > Users). Check the box next to each user who may post podcasts. Under update options, find add a role in the drop down. Choose podcaster. Hit update. Now, any of the users can create podcast items.
Any logged-in podcaster can now click create content and podcast item to create a new podcast item:
- Fill in the title with whatever you want. Select what channel it is on. Enter any show notes you want to display to users.
- Use the file attachment box to choose the file you want to upload to add it to your podcast item. Click on attach. Hit submit.
Each taxonomy term has its own page which will automatically list podcasts in that channel.
Just click on a taxonomy term on a podcast post to get there, take the path on that page and add on /0/feed to make a podcast link for podcast readers.
Where to go from here:
Consider enabling clean URLs on your site at http://www.example.com/admin/settings/clean-urls
Check out themes on Drupal.org at http://drupal.org/project/Themes
Get help, learn tricks, or help others on the Drupal.org forums.