Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
Sprout provides shows and original programming for preschoolers and their families. Launched in 2005, Sprout has grown to include video-on-demand, a cable television channel, multiple websites, mobile apps, an online store, merchandising, and more.
SproutOnline.com, the primary web property for Sprout, hosts thousands of videos, flash games, downloadable crafts, printable coloring pages, activities, recipes, and more. SproutOnline.com was designed and developed by Operations & Technical Services (O&TS) within NBCUniversal.
SproutOnline.com comes from a history of CMS’s that were buggy, proprietary, and prone to crashing when updated. Drupal’s open-source nature with its zero licensing fees, enterprise support through Acquia, low hosting costs, and the availability of Drupal developers was a key factor in the choice of CMS. Additionally, the O&TS team within NBCU has a successful record of implementing Enterprise Drupal sites, which also influenced the decision.
Sprout's primary goals were to decrease development and hosting costs while improving website uptime and reliability. Some of the other specific requirements included:
- Central hub for all our website content and resources including graphics, video and digital media
- Admin controls, permissions, and workflows to handle content creation and publication without requiring development resources
- Scalable architecture to handle 25+ million page views and unique visitors a month
- Ability to handle and manage digital media, including images, flash games, audio files, and 3rd party hosted video content
- Social media and user account integrations
- Seamless integration with our video hosting provider
- Ability for mobile apps and flash games to interact with the database, including user authentication, submitting photos, retrieving account information, and more.
Contributions authored by developers at O&TS related to this project include:
SproutOnline.com was designed and developed by Operations & Technical Services (O&TS) within NBCUniversal. Team members include:
- Jay Tuten, Project Management
- Junko Otsuki, Design
- Brian Eagan, UX
- Pradeep Venugopal, Development
- Suzi Arnold, Development
- Jason Savino, Development
- R.J. Townsend, Development
- Jeremiah Thomas, QA
- Neetu Sharma, QA
- Cynthia Cortes, Client Engagement