On a fresh successful install of 2.0.7 stable with mariaDB and _STRONG_PASSWORDS=No I have either nothing or just 1 or 2 characters when I run randpass 32 esc - I resolved this problem by installing all locales and setting default locale to a UTF-8

Comments

omega8cc’s picture

Status:Active» Needs work

This sounds pretty weird, because Barracuda already does that for you here.

It installs locales package, then checks if the locale command doesn't show any errors, and either re-builds them or just sets default to UTF-8.

But I suspect that the problem is that we assume here that the error will be in English (Cannot), which will not work on systems with different default language.

We need a better, language neutral check here.

omega8cc’s picture

Status:Needs work» Postponed (maintainer needs more info)

What is the output of locale command on a vanilla system you are testing, before running boa install?

NetFast’s picture

Hello,

I don't have another system for testing, but this inexpensive $12 / mo. server was leased from ovh.com (france) and it is in their Canadian datacenter - east coast of Canada near US. I installed it with English as the default language, but it might not be a UTF-8 version of English?

In any case after I did the minimal debian 64 squeeze install, the command line terminal was in english

omega8cc’s picture

Status:Postponed (maintainer needs more info)» Needs work

Testing all possible hosts is obviously impossible. Still, we should try to use language neutral checks.

NetFast’s picture

April 12 update: I have a support request in - still un-answered, with the server provider asking them what the default locales were for the debian 64 squeeze minimal install that comes with the server as an option. I know that their literature states that the install can be made in the major western European languages; thus it's probably an 8859 language ISO and not a UTF-8 that comes installed by default with the server on debian squeeze 64. I will follow up on this and post the default locales when their tech support gives me the answer.

NetFast’s picture

Update:

The default locales for that server that produced the error are:

root@:~# locale
LANG=en_GB
LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="en_GB"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB"
LC_TIME="en_GB"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB"
LC_PAPER="en_GB"
LC_NAME="en_GB"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB"
LC_ALL=

NetFast’s picture

en_GB is ISO 8859-1, and here are the non-accented characters allowed by it:

SP 32 20 ! 33 21
" 34 22 " # 35 23
$ 36 24 % 37 25
& 38 26 & ' 39 27
( 40 28 ) 41 29
* 42 2a + 43 2b
, 44 2c - 45 2d
. 46 2e / 47 2f
0 48 30 1 49 31
2 50 32 3 51 33
4 52 34 5 53 35
6 54 36 7 55 37
8 56 38 9 57 39
: 58 3a ; 59 3b
< 60 3c < = 61 3d
> 62 3e > ? 63 3f
@ 64 40 A 65 41
B 66 42 C 67 43
D 68 44 E 69 45
F 70 46 G 71 47
H 72 48 I 73 49
J 74 4a K 75 4b
L 76 4c M 77 4d
N 78 4e O 79 4f
P 80 50 Q 81 51
R 82 52 S 83 53
T 84 54 U 85 55
V 86 56 W 87 57
X 88 58 Y 89 59
Z 90 5a [ 91 5b
\ 92 5c ] 93 5d
^ 94 5e _ 95 5f
` 96 60 a 97 61
b 98 62 c 99 63
d 100 64 e 101 65
f 102 66 g 103 67
h 104 68 i 105 69
j 106 6a k 107 6b
l 108 6c m 109 6d
n 110 6e o 111 6f
p 112 70 q 113 71
r 114 72 s 115 73
t 116 74 u 117 75
v 118 76 w 119 77
x 120 78 y 121 79
z 122 7a { 123 7b
| 124 7c } 125 7d

NetFast’s picture

omega8cc’s picture

These locales look wrong. You should see instead:

root@server1:~# locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
root@server1:~#

I guess that we should detect if active locales use UTF-8 and if not, force them to use UTF-8. But this may be tricky, because you would need to re-login before starting the installation, so we need to do this check on the boa meta-installer level.

omega8cc’s picture

NetFast’s picture

Thanks - Another approach I just thought of - if your fix slows things down too much, is to simply make the check for UTF-8 locals a pre-BOA installation requirement, and list it on the install notes.

omega8cc’s picture

We need to force this anyway, while adding it to the requirements may only confuse and scare people who have no idea what is it and how to fix this. But maybe we should at least mention and explain this somewhere, as we always do on-screen when barracuda runs this fix.

omega8cc’s picture

Status:Fixed» Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.