I've done a clean installation of Open Outreach RC9 and installed most of the APPS including event and red hen. All worked fine and I can add content etc.

I wanted to try adding new fields to exiting content types and also creating a new content type with custom fields. Initially I noticed that this wasn't possible as the field_ui module isn't installed by default. So I enabled this and got the add fields user interface ok. But as soon as I try to add a field to a content type then I get the following errors and also the site is then un-usable:

PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away: SELECT COUNT(cid) FROM {comment} WHERE status = :status; Array ( [:status] => 0 ) in comment_count_unpublished() (line 314 of /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/modules/comment/comment.module).

Uncaught exception thrown in session handler.
PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away in _drupal_session_write() (line 209 of /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/session.inc).

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away' in /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/database/database.inc:2139 Stack trace: #0 /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/database/database.inc(2139): PDOStatement->execute(Array) #1 /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/database/database.inc(664): DatabaseStatementBase->execute(Array, Array) #2 /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/database/database.inc(2318): DatabaseConnection->query('SELECT expire, ...', Array, Array) #3 /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/lock.inc(167): db_query('SELECT expire, ...', Array) #4 /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/lock.inc(146): lock_may_be_available('schema:runtime:...') #5 /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/bootstrap.inc(420): lock_acquire('schema:runtime:...') #6 /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/bootstrap.inc(442): DrupalCacheArray->set(Array) #7 [internal function]: D in /Library/WebServer/Documents/openoutreach/includes/database/database.inc on line 2139

Comments

Desert Dog’s picture

Issue summary:View changes

typo in module name

nedjo’s picture

Title:PDOException error when add fields to content type» "MySQL server has gone away" error in Open Outreach
Category:bug» support

The "MySQL server has gone away" error means your site has lost contact with the database server, almost always because of a lack of available resources. See http://drupal.org/node/364451 for links to causes and solutions. If this is a hosted site, it might mean your host doesn't allocate sufficient resources for an Open Outreach or other complex Drupal site.

Desert Dog’s picture

Hi Nedjo,

Many thanks. Yes that was the issue.

I'm running the site on a local server on a Mac OS Mountain Lion. For ref for other users to fix I copied the my-medium.cnf file in /usr/local/mysql/support-files/ to /etc/my.cnf. Then changed max_allowed_packet in the new my.cnf file to be 100M and restarted MYSQL.

nedjo’s picture

Status:Active» Fixed

Status:Fixed» Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.

Anonymous’s picture

Issue summary:View changes

typo