Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
The current forum icons are a bit outdated. The envelope metaphor doesn't really work anymore and (to me at least) the "new" icon is quite unreadable.
Here is the first bit of discussion on this:
So, here's my first proposal for new forum icons based on speech bubbles in stead of envelopes. What am I trying to achieve here is:
- first, a nice generic speech bubble of course
- then adding variations to indicate the different states (new, hot, sticky, closed) in a way that allows for combining them (hot & new)
- I've refrained from using colors in these first attempts to force myself to come up with visually distinct icons based on shape alone.
Some things to consider when giving feedback:
- General look and feel, I'm trying to keep it simple and effective, hopefully not boring?
- Is there enough difference between them?
- Metaphors, do they make sense to you?
- File format: 24bit or 8 bit pngs, transparency issues in IE…
I'm working on a mockup that'll show this icons in context, based on a screengrab from the drupal.org forums.
Looking forward to your comments, thanks.