Is there anyway of me doing this:
The solution is to remove the lock files by hand. Go into that part of the repository and look for files named "#cvs.lock" or that begin with "#cvs.wfl" or "#cvs.rfl". The waiting CVS processes eventually notice that the lock files are gone and allow the requested operation to proceed.
This is the only way of me solving by myself a problem in pt-pt translation (which somehow got permanently locked). But I guess this can only be done through a ssl connection and I believe normal developers don't have access to it (at least I tried to connect through ssl and my password didn't work).
I opened a support request on this: http://drupal.org/node/16475, but I guess the mantainers are with heavy work. :(