Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-084
- Project: Search API (third-party module)
- Version: 7.x
- Date: 2012-May-23
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
This module enables you to build searches using a wide range of features, data sources and backends.
The module doesn't sufficiently sanitize user input in some cases when throwing exceptions or logging errors. This enables attackers to insert arbitrary data into a page by manipulating its URL. Users would have to open such a manipulated URL to see the changed content.
This is only possible in some setups of Search API, specifically when users can manually enter field identifiers in some way – e.g., through an exposed Views sort or with the old Facets module.
- Search API 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.1.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Search API module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Search API module (especially with Views, the old Facets module or other advanced search forms) for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Search API 7.x-1.1
- Run update.php to also ensure that previously stored log messages are sanitized.
Also see the Search API project page.
- Thomas Seidl the module maintainer
- Greg Knaddison of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.