Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
RC2 is the last of our Release Candidate releases. Hereafter we will go for a stable release. The theme has been in development now for many months and is very stable.
Included in this release are mostly usability/user experience improvements, bug fixes and small feature enhancements - there are no "new features", only adjustments to existing features.
- Responsive Panels and Gpanels system will now only load what is used. This means if you are not using Panels only the settings for Gpanels that are actually used in the theme will show up. If you are using Panels they will all show, and if you are using both (e.g. using Panels with Pixture Reloaded) then they will all show and the theme will tell you which Gpanels layouts you are using. If Panels is not enabled and you have no Gpanels, a likely scenario when first starting, then nothing shows and you get a friendly message about this. This is a UX improvement - users got confused and thought they needed to install the Panels module, or that it was a requirement. Also the default "show all" overwhelmed some users when in fact they were only using one or two Gpanels.
- Extensions got split up and moved to the main settings area. I needed to do this for various reasons, namely because by default meta tags must fire on first install and this was very hard to do (and fragile) when they were hidden. I think it works better now, the extensions are easier to find and you will never have issues with meta tags not loading strait off (otherwise there can be issues in mobile devices with the display width, the viewport meta tag must fire for mobile first responsive layouts to work in all devices, especially iPad).
- Production mode is now automated to work when CSS aggregation is turned ON. This is a big departure from the past manual setting and although it essentially works exactly the same, the way you work with it is slightly different. I think its easier now and removes decision making effort.
- Design method (mobile first or desktop first) is now a hidden setting. Its mobile first by default. If you want to enable this setting you must change a setting in the info file, look for
settings[global_default_layout_disable] = 1 and change to 0, then clear the sites cache or theme registry and reload the theme settings page, view the CSS settings and you can then switch to desktop first. This was done primarily for two reasons - first to reduce UI clutter and secondly to prevent users from changing this setting when they should not. I found users changing this setting in styled sub-themes thinking they had to (for what reason, who knows...), but it should NOT be changed for a styled sub-theme like Pixture Reloaded.
- New layouts have been added to Tablet Portrait, namely the column drop and column stack sidebar layouts. I used these in recent site development in tablet portrait and they worked very well, so I have included them in the core theme.
- Some of the panels/gpanels layouts actually changed (widths of regions only), only slightly, and only in responsive modes. View the lovely new icons, they tell a better story about how the layouts change.
- "Cascading media queries" stylesheet is now changed to "Custom media queries" stylesheet. I think this makes more sense - its just terminology but make a big difference to end users. The links to help about cascading media queries is still there, as is the help in the actual file. I found I used this for cascading media queries and others as well, so there's no point in trying to limit its usage when its just terminology. Technically its just another CSS file and you can use it for whatever you want.
- Lots of new helpful messages, and less complex language is now used.
- Fixed bug with view mode, if the view mode became unset for whatever reason the theme caused an undefined index notice.
- there were a few CSS improvements and changes, mostly tweaks to the CSS and SCSS files. mixins were improved and made consistent with existing styles in the CSS files. A new "ir" mixin was added for doing text image replacement easily.