HTML Entities should not created by default in Drupal as Drupal is UTF-8. It makes no sense to do this.

#1303782: WYSIWYG modules integration


mkesicki’s picture

Category: bug » feature
Status: Active » Postponed

I change this to feature request.
@hass, you can always turn off using Html entities in CKEditor profile configuration.
Changing this now can break backward compatibility.
Thank you for noticing this, we will consider this issue.

hass’s picture

Category: feature » bug
Status: Postponed » Active

I know that I'm able to change the setting, but enabling this feature makes no sense at all in an UTF8 drupal world. I believe you can remove the radio completly. There is no drupal out there that is not UTF8. It looks like a design flaw to me.

I have no idea how it's possible to break anything. Enabled means that ckeditor tries to convert anything to an entity. If this is disabled, it does not convert or to be more clear it does not destroy my properly inserted UTF8 chars to entities.

What should be done is - disable it and remove the radio as it has potential to destroy a drupal site; if enabled.

dczepierga’s picture

Title: Disable HTML Entities conversion by default » [D7] Disable HTML Entities conversion by default
Category: bug » feature
Status: Active » Fixed

I talk with team about this, and we decide to disable HTML Entities by default only for new users/fresh installs of CKEditor module - we don't want to update settings of configured CKEditor modules, because we can destroy someone work or sth else...

The configuration option of HTML Entities will stay - only change will be default value to false if is not set.

I commit changes to GIT (diff).


hass’s picture

The destroy logic is only active if enabled and it destroys my proper UTF8 chars. If it's disabled it stops destroying my chars. Removing the setting will stop users being able to destroy their UTF8 chars! I believe it's plain wrong that this feature *exists*.

Could you please elaborate how this setting can ever "destroy" anything; if it get's removed? I don't get it, but I'm willingly to lern...

A really useful feature would be Convert all html entities to UTF-8.

Status: Fixed » Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.

hass’s picture

Status: Closed (fixed) » Needs work
mkesicki’s picture

Status: Needs work » Fixed

as @dczepierga wrote in #3 this option is now disabled by default on fresh install of module in latest DEV version and in next release. Yes , you have right that this option is "not the best one" but some people use it and this is the reason why we decided to turn it off by default on new installation of module and don't remove it from configuration panel.

hass’s picture

Status: Fixed » Needs work

He wrote removing the feature can destroy something. This is invalid. The feature itself destroy content. This is a design flaw and by changing the default it does not fix the design flaw. I'm sorry for stressing this so, but it looks like there is a major missunderstanding how entities work and what they are made for. There was also no feedback about converting (repair) entities back to their utf8 chars.

mkesicki’s picture

Status: Needs work » Closed (fixed)
hass’s picture

Status: Closed (fixed) » Needs work

Bug is still not fixed and there was no feedback.