Front end performance is a critical task shared by all mobile solutions.
- Parallelize downloads across hostnames
- Leverage browser caching
- Enable gzip compression
- Specify image dimensions
- Optimize images
- Lazy loading assets
- Inline background images under ~4KB
- Remove unused CSS
- Use efficient CSS selectors
Here are some tools that can be used to test frontend performance:
- YSlow profiles pages and offers recommendations for speeding them up.
- Network tab of Firebug/Chrome/Safari/Opera devtools.
- Learn to read waterfall charts from Strangeloop Networks
- WebPageTest.org offers frontend performance testing from various locations worldwide. You choose the browser to test.
- gtmetrix.com & loads.in also offer more front-end performance testing.
- PageSpeed Insights offers website performance insights and provide recommendation to improve page speed on all devices.