Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
You are a modern author, with a portfolio of publications, a blog to explore ideas and interact with fans, and a place to find out where that author will appear. This is especially interesting for tech savvy authors of the kind that are into web culture, and maybe even self-publish ebooks.
To an extent, I'd like to make this use case bait for Charles Stross to switch off of Movable Type ;P
The main goals of the site would be to communicate:
- Interesting ideas about the human condition, astrophysics, and issues of the day.
- Events at which the author will be appearing
- What are the author's publications, and how to get them.
- How to make contact with the author to arrange an event.
- A professional bio (probably could be handled by the CV/resume plumbing being discussed at and ) This does not cover things written, but rather any credentials the author has as a domain expert.
- (Optional) Syndicate book reviews. More likely just linking to preferred booksellers.
is important to draw attention to the author's more interesting posts. The site isn't necessarily going to have aggressive marketing--that's what the books are for.