I'm running Drupal 7.9, and confused slightly about the MediaFront behavior. I have a content type with a media file field attached (mp3, to be exact).

Additionally, I have a media view which accepts a node id as an argument, then plays the mp3 associated with that node using MediaFront. My MediaFront preset uses almost all of the default settings, with some minor appearance changes.

Originally, the page took forever to load, which I attributed to having the media load start automatically. I've since disabled auto load, but the time it takes for the MediaFront view to load is essentially the same; the player seems to be buffering for several minutes, and I don't know why.

Is there any way to disable this - essentially just load the player with the page, and do no field processing until the user tries to play the media?

Comments

brycesenz’s picture

For additional context - I set up a test in which I had one version of the page play the media file through the jPlayer (using the jPlayer module views style), and an identical page set up with the media file playing through the MediaFront player (also using Views).

Both players were configured as identically as possible - neither set to auto-play, neither set to pre-load the media, etc. The MediaFront player version of the page takes 2-5x as long to finish loading. There seems to be a significant amount of overhead code that loads regardless of whether the media is set to pre-load. Is there any way around this?

Fr0s7’s picture

Same problem. I suspect the MP3 file is trying to load entirely, rather than buffer in. I haven't found a preset control to change this.

travist’s picture

This is actually an issue with the encoding of the file where the meta data is located at the end of the file vs. the beginning of the file. This is what is causing it to try and download the whole thing before figuring out what to do with it. The common way to fix this is to perform a post-processing ffmpeg conversion on the file which will move the meta data to the correct location.

brycesenz’s picture

Thanks for the clarification on the problem! Is there an alternate solution though? I mean, neither JPlayer nor JWPlayer modules have this issue with the exact same file, so something is clearly being handled differently here.

I'm not trying to be lazy (Ok, kind of I am), but it would be a real hassle to have to convert and re-upload the 500 or so files on my site.

travist’s picture

Alright... I will take a look. Would it be possible for you to provide me with an mp3 that you are having issues with?

brycesenz’s picture

I'm happy to provide an mp3; what's the best way for me to send it to you?

travist’s picture

travist349 at gmail dot com.

brycesenz’s picture

I've emailed you that mp3, so let me know if it didn't arrive in your inbox.

brycesenz’s picture

Status: Active » Closed (fixed)

With the new changes that will be rolling out to MediaFront (moving to minPlayer, or something like that), this issue is solved, as confirmed by travis via email.

rojosnow’s picture

I am trying to roll out a solution for a client on MediaFront. The player wants to load the entire mpeg4 file before playing: http://mobilelab.jordanjr.com/videos.

It doesn't sound like it was a meta data issue...or is it? What does "(moving to minPlayer, or something like that)" mean? Are the new changes in 2.0?

Thanks for your help!

brycesenz’s picture

@rojosnow -

In the 2.x branch, you can select whether you want the media played with minPlayer or OSM player. Travis did some testing on this and reported back that using minPlayer solved the loading issues, which works for my case as well.

Obviously, the 2.x branch is as of yet not stable for release, but you could give it a shot. Sorry if my earlier post was unclear.

rojosnow’s picture

@brycesenz --

Thanks for the clarification. I converted everything over to 2.0-beta1 and it's a noticeable improvement! But, I still see some issues with buffering between OSes and browsers. Chrome seems to work the best across platforms. IE and Firefox still want to load the entire file before playing. My guess is that it's something to do with flash player whereas there is native mpeg4 support in webkit.

I am going to do some more testing and follow travist's suggestion of moving the meta data around. If there is still a problem, I'll post an issue to the 2.0 queue. Thanks again.

rojosnow’s picture

As a quick follow up, here is a great article on MPEG-4 meta data (moov atoms) and why you have to load/buffer the entire file before it starts to play: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/video/articles/mp4_movie_atom.html

I also wrote a how-to blog post on moving the atoms so hopefully it will save others a ton of time: http://jordanjr.com/articles/drupal-7-mediafront-mpeg-4-moov-atoms-and-b...

Cheers!

travist’s picture

@rojosnow

I am enamored by your article, and I applaud you for taking the time to write that up. It is a gem that I will include in documentation on both here and the new mediafront.org site that we are currently working on.

Thanks again!

Travis.

rojosnow’s picture

@travis

Happy to give back! Thanks for the mention in the docs.