People often wonder what kind of hardware drupal.org runs on. Throughout the project history this has been a tough question. For a while it was a server in a random office building. That server eventually died and required a fund-raising effort to replace (the funds were raised in 24 hours!).
The critical infrastructure is all configured to share the load and be redundant. For example, db1 and db2 are configured to be master-slave most of the time to provide for better performance and allow the slave to be promoted to master if the master fails.
Here is a relatively accurate list from September 2011.
2 Load balancers
These load balancers are shared among several projects at OSL. Drupal.org will soon get its own load balancers.
- HP Proliant DL140 – load1.drupal.org (load balancer)
- HP Proliant DL140 – load2.drupal.org (load balancer)
Varnish actually runs on each of the webservers.
5 active webservers
There are a total of 7 webservers, though 2 are currently out of rotation and 2 new ones are scheduled for deployment.
- Dell Poweredge 1850 – www1.drupal.org
- Sun Sunfire x2270 – www5.drupal.org
- Dell Poweredge R610 – www6.drupal.org
- Dell Poweredge R610 – www7.drupal.org
- Dell Poweredge 1850 – www6-old / drupal2
- Sun X4200 – www3.drupal.org (to be replaced)
- Sun v20 – www4.drupal.org (RIP)
2 Apache Solr servers
Search on drupal.org is powered by Apache Solr that is hosted on separate servers.
- Supermicro Unknown Model – denise.drupal.org (solr)
- Supermicro Unknown Model civispace.drupal.org (solr)
2 media servers
These hold the files/ directories. They are relatively old machines and their primary tasks are being mount points for the webservers and synching files back and forth to each other.
2 Database servers for drupal.org
These are the primary databases.
- Dell Poweredge 1950 – db1.drupal.org
- Sun X4200 – db2.drupal.org
2 Database servers for subsites
These databses are for the subsites like groups.drupal.org, localize.drupal.org, the Drupalcon sites.
- Sun Sunfire X4170 – db3.drupal.org
- Sun Sunfire X4170 – db4.drupal.org
1 "util" server
This server is used for random tasks and other parts of our infrastructure that aren't strictly about serving up web pages.
- random shell scripts (some interact with mongodb)
- Sun Sunfire X4170 – util.drupal.org
One big bit of hosting is moved off the infrastructure: e-mail. The webservers and util route their outgoing mails through OSL mail relays.
- Testing infrastructure qa.drupal.org
These are provided by OSL.
What kind of growth does this support?
Take a look at nodes, comments, and users created per month in this spreadsheet.