Source Document: Current State of the Media Module.
Saturday August 6, I spent the day testing the current state of the Media module. I wanted to find out how useful it is right now, as well as what I believe is missing before it is ready for a full release. I did this exercise from a site builders perspective.
This issue contains a bullet summary of my findings and suggestions about what is needed. Whenever there exists an issue dealing with a specific bullet, it will be added so its easy to see the status of it.
If you know of any existing issue that is not in the list below, please edit this summary and add it.
Important: Please keep in mind that this is not an official specification or roadmap for the Media module. My hope is that it can form the base to that though. If it does, it will be simple to add issues for the missing features in the list below.
Please also note that many of the issues listed below is not filed against the 2.x version, but they seems serious enough to be looked at and checked if they exists in 2.x as well. Only issues where it says its been fixed in 2.x has been excluded.
Issues are grouped and ordered from newest to oldest as well.
Edit Image Field with Media module
- The default storage setting for a field is not respected. Needs new options, including permissions if user are allowed to change location or not.
Workaround solution - See the Source document at the top for a workaround using the IMCE module to upload and organize files in folders before use.
- File properties (pixels and size) is visible, but not used. Needs sitewide settings as well as field specific overrides. Use case for when this is needed explained in document.
- Alt and Title visible but not used. Should probably be moved to "admin/config/media/file-types".
- Help text moves to under the media box when more than one file can be added.
- Default image visible, but doesn't fill any purpose.
Field Settings tab:
- Upload destination and Default Image looks to duplicate the settings at the bottom of the Edit tab
Adding Fields to File Type
Located at: admin/config/media/file-types
- Possible to add file/image fields to a media file type, what implications has that?
- Even possible to add the existing image field to itself...
- Restrictions needed for who can edit what for added media.
- Needs to be possible to override field values when reusing an existing file, without updating the global values.
- What happens when edits are made, will the propagate automatically to all places the media file is used?
- How will updates to the global values affect overridden values?
- Currently fields have to be manually added to each file type. A lot of fields will be needed to be used for all, or many file types. Possible to add a setting "Use an all file types" or "Use only on these file types"?
Adding/Editing media content
- Prevent inserting hard links, such as when dragging an image to a text area field
- Possible to edit all settings for an embedded file without having to delete and reembed it.
- Be able to fill in all fields, depending on permissions, when adding a new media file.
- Rename uploaded file.
- Optionally use the Field Permissions module?
- Special treatment of the User Picture upload and similar features.
- Be able to restrict what files/folders a user/role can browse.
- Be able to rename files.
- Basic features to move files to new locations.
- How will global changes to files be propagated to where they already are used?
Other important issues and release blockers
Issues that need some love
This is a list of issues that can't really be classified, either they are very old or someone with more knowledge needs to look and see if they are a release blocker, and especially if they relate to 2.x.