I have tried to find information on why it is failing, the only thing that I can figure is that it is failing on a module. It started to fail after I had completed all the SEO checklist of modules. I edited the module.ini file to include some code that enables it to list the places it fails. This is what I got

cron 03/29/2011 - 15:08 Attempting to re-run cron while it is already running. gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:08 calling backup_migrate gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:08 return from update after 49.05309 sec. gbgAdmin
update 03/29/2011 - 15:08 Attempted to fetch information about all available ... gbgAdmin view
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 calling update gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 return from system after 0.10057 sec. gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 calling system gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 return from statistics after 0.00107 sec. gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 calling statistics gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 return from search after 3.05330 sec. gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 calling search gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 return from node after 0.00154 sec. gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 calling node gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 return from filter after 0.00057 sec. gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 calling filter gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 return from dblog after 0.00317 sec. gbgAdmin
module_invoke_al 03/29/2011 - 15:07 calling dblog gbgAdmin

Also with the attempting to rerun cron error, I also recieve an error that 'cron has been running for over and hour and is most likely stuck'

Any help is much appriciated, I need cron to run so my customers products get indexed.

I have tried disabling the following modules without any change:
Search
Spam
PHP-filter

Comments

tlangston’s picture

subscribing. Same thing here

danielb’s picture

Try deleting cron_semaphore from the variable table

(having said that, this advice has not worked for me because that variable didn't exist. I've disabled all contrib modules, and cron is just screwed - and I don't think it's poormanscron's fault either)

AllyMediaGroup’s picture

Deleting cron_semaphore fixes it for a while then it will get stuck again, I am still fighting with it to see what the issue is. Right now it has been running for a week after updating to Drupal 6.22

san65’s picture

I too am awaiting resolution of this problem. I am getting it on localhost.

derek.deraps’s picture

subscribing

davidah59’s picture

FWIW, I just now had this problem, with the log file filled with "cron already running" messages. I disabled two modules -- visitor info and location -- came back to the site a few minutes later, and saw a message "Cron ran successfully." I then manually ran the cron and it worked. Not sure if it is related to any specific module or not. My XML sitemap module depends on cron running regularly.

stidem’s picture

I had a similar problem with the cron running on our site. I eventually found out that it was a problem with backup_migrate, or at least a destination that no longer existed. As soon as I removed that remote destination and the schedule associated with it, it worked perfectly again.

The symptom I had was that the cron ran for 10 to 20 seconds and then timed out with the message below.

Error message:
The site is currently not available due to technical problems. Please try again later. Thank you for your understanding.

If you are the maintainer of this site, please check your database settings in the settings.php file and ensure that your hosting provider's database server is running. For more help, see the handbook, or contact your hosting provider.

The mysqli error was: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'backupsite.example.com' (111).