Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- The messages cannot be personalized based on the recipient data. You cannot insert formulas like "Dear [first-name] [last-name]" or "Your account balance is $[amount]".
- It doesn't accept other kinds of data as recipient list. Subscriptions are basically stored as a list of email addresses in a specific table. For example you cannot use nodes as the recipient list.
- While the subscribers list is a simple email address list, you cannot perform advanced filtering on recipient data in order to target very fine subsets of subscribers.
Views Send to the rescue!
- Use any kind of recipient list as input. The only constraint is that the list must be built with Views.
- Build very fine tuned lists of recipients using the power and flexibility of the Views module. As long as it is based on Views, you can take advantage of Exposed Filters in order to improve the user experience when building the mass mailing target.
- Manually limit the list provided by Views using checkboxes provided by Views Bulk Operations (VBO).
- Select additional fields in Views and inject their values into the message body or subject as tokens. Each message for each recipient is now fully customizable using recipient data or context tokens provided by Token module.
- Last but not least...better spooling philosophy: Each message is fully rendered before spooling. Simplenews keeps only the nid and renders on spool process. This can cause problems: for example, what if node is deleted in the meantime?