Use Acquia DAMP stack for Drupal 7 or any Drupal distro (Link broken) from the 'AcquiaTv' section at acquia.com.
If you'd like to check out Drupal 7 on your PC you would normally have to install a web server stack like XAMMP or MAMP in order to do it. But there's lots of configuration steps required to use these apps, so unless you have some other specific requirement for them, why bother. The easiest way to install and set up Drupal on your PC is to use the Acquia Dev Desktop (formerly know as Acquia Drupal Stack Installer; the so-called DAMP stack). In less than 10 minutes you'll have a fully functioning web stack and a full Drupal 7 installation to boot.
Just follow the steps below:
- Download the Installer from Acquia: Acquia Drupal Stack Installer. Choose the correct version for the operating system you're using.
- Run the DAMP Installer.
- Enter a name for your site. Name it whatever you like.
- Enter a username, email address, and password for the Site maintenance account. (The Acquia DAMP stack installs the Xmail mail server but configuring it is beyond the scope of this post. I use Papercut to test email functionality for locally installed web applications.)
You can probably accept all other installation defaults. Once it's installed and running you'll have a core Drupal 7.x site. NOTE: you can use the Import function to load a preexisting site or a different Drupal distribution if you don't want to use the one that comes bundled in DAMP. (This is located in the 'Sites' tab in the DAMP Control Panel's Settings.)
In a few seconds the Acquia Control Panel will open.
- Click the Go to my site button.
- Login using the credentials you specified during the installation.
You now have a fully functioning Drupal 7 site to play with.
For a more detailed treatment of the above process, see this handbook's page Drupal 7 - Install and Setup DAMP on your Windows PC or MAC - Video with outline.