I have a Drupal 7.56 website that is currently running on PHP 5.3.  I have downloaded PHP 7.2 and plan to install it, but how do I tell DRUPAL to stop using v5.3 and start using v7.2?

Comments

VM’s picture

A) you don't tell Drupal anything it will use which ever version is available on the server.

B) be careful using PHP 7.2 on Drupal 7. Drupal 7 was not written on PHP 7.2. I suggest reviewing the system requirements documentation pages before doing this on a production server as you will need to perform a significant amount of testing specifically with contributed modules in use.

mmjvb’s picture

You may have configured your web server to use a particular version of php. In addition you can configure per folder the php version to be used. You map with AddHandler #php# .php in .htaccess where #php# is the path to your version of php. This applies to Apache as web server.

Suggest to wait with setting 7.2 as default for the web server, consider 5.6 for that. Try per site to enable 7.2 or 7.1 to see whether you are running into problems. Check the issue queue for core and contrib when running into problems. Assuming contrib is up to date.

Note: installing php doesn't mean you meet all requirements, check the mods.

jjmackow’s picture

I've had only minor issues with simple fixes in migrating to PHP 7. The simplest thing to do is spend 40 bucks for the month and spin up a new space on AWS for a new server; set it up with PHP 7 and the libraries you need, and then see how you instances run.  This shouldn't take any longer than a morning to test as a yay or nay as to whether your instance will be able to handle it or not.

cheers,

kev

tlaford’s picture

Well, I worked with a sysadmin to try to upgrade from PHP 5.3.28 to 5.6.33, and we encountered a problem.  It seems that our version of MySQL (5.6.17) is not compatible  with PHP 5.6.33.  So the sysadmin wants to create a brand new test server to create a new drupal test environment, and install the newest version of all the software.

Did anyone else encounter a PHP MySQL compatibility problem?

shannonwatts’s picture

You need to update your server configuration. You can update PHP version over there.