Hi I wanna upgrade to D8 from D7. My D7 site has a messy custom theme I just wanna trash. So I want to start out clean on D8 and import the content.. (thousands of nodes). It's important that I maintain URL structure for SEO reasons.

Where would I start to do this? Are there any plugins for this or could I use drush??

Thanks!
K

Comments

kammo’s picture

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

I did go trough that D7-D8 upgrade that's supported in core, but after the upgrade all my nodes display no content in their body neither in the frontend or while editing so somethings not right. Does that error ring any bell?

I also tried to do the upgrade with the "Migrate plus" module installed and enabled but I could not see any additional options really so no changes.

Honestly I would assume there would be a "simpler" route of exporting / importing certain types of nodes only? I don't really want old blocks and all old content types and much of the stuff that comes from the D7 site.

Is there a method / module to import article nodes from D7 and importing them into D8 somehow? I looked around a bit and the only real solution I come up with is is using Migrate Plus ?

K

pixelsweatshop’s picture

I did go trough that D7-D8 upgrade that's supported in core, but after the upgrade all my nodes display no content in their body neither in the frontend or while editing so somethings not right. Does that error ring any bell?

Sorry, no I haven;t heard of this. The D7-8 upgrade path is not as solid as the 6-8. I would imagine it is going to take some finagling and debugging to get it right until it is ready.

Honestly I would assume there would be a "simpler" route of exporting / importing certain types of nodes only?

Well, you didn't mention that in your original post. You asked for an upgrade path for 7-8. If you just want nodes check out the feeds module. https://www.drupal.org/project/feeds

Build an xml feed or export to csv in your D7 site and pull them in using feeds in your d8 site.

kammo’s picture

Hi again... thanks for the tips nicoz.. I appretiate your input.

Well I'll be specific.. I see it's not so straight forward as I hoped:

I need to import a couple of content types: articles and folders/categories. I really need the articles to maintain their relation to the folder content type and that URL aliases are maintained for SEO reasons as it's a very content heavy site. Basically maintaining structure of old site and main content while dropping everything visual. Note that my content is mainly organized by category datatype. Taxonomy is also used but not for all the content nodes.

- Features module should in theory be able to export/import the datatypes but it don't work between D7 and D8, so not an option. Am I right? How can I move the datatypes?

- What you suggest is using "Feeds" to import into D8 or possibly "Migrate Source CSV". That might work out of the box with straight forward content and taxonomy, but how to move over the datatypes? All my content (articles) are organized by the content type categories.

K

pixelsweatshop’s picture

Now that you specified that you want content and content types, taxonomy etc, you need to go back to using migrate and alter the default migration

See https://cheppers.com/blog/migrate-d8-pt1

wcndave’s picture

I need to import only content, however feeds are not supported in D8. If you follow your link, you see it cannot be used. Any other way to import data. I also found the "upgrade" did not import any content, only content types...