Hello,

I am looking for feedback on our organization's current situation.

We are currently running Drupal 6 and are planning a complete overhaul of our website, to be launched between July and September 2014. We are doing a full review of platform options and may or may not stay with Drupal on our future site. We receive about 1.25 million hits on our website annually and our site is the main place people purchase tickets to our venues, so we cannot afford to have our site down, hacked or in some other way not functioning.

For the time between when Drupal 6 goes unsupported (January 2014?) and the time our new website launches, we need to have a plan. I've received an estimate (from the firm who originally designed our site) on doing solely an upgrade from Drupal 6 to 7 and it is a significant cost. Is this our safest option? What issues will we run into if we stay on Drupal 6 until the new website launches sometime between July and Sept 2014?

Any thoughts or direction to materials that might be helpful would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

Comments

VM’s picture

Is this our safest option? What issues will we run into if we stay on Drupal 6 until the new website launches sometime between July and Sept 2014?

Depends on what security issues are uncovered after sunset whether in core of contrib modules. You may want to look into the backdrop fork of Drupal.

woodp’s picture

Here's another consideration. At least on my server, PHP 5.4 breaks Drupal 6.x, and with PHP 5.3 going EOL in July, 2014 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP#Release_history), you have a second unknown security risk approaching.