I enable french, dutch, english in my site. how content will be displayed when i add some content in French then same (english ) contents are displaying on front end even i select different language. how to change menu according to language. I mean conetnt uploaded in French should be visible on front end when i select french.
Plz guide me.

Thanx

Comments

ap’s picture

Are you using the localization module and settings only? AFAIK the localization module is only useful for creating a single language site in any language. I.e a French site where everything is in french and nothing else. Or a German site where everything is in German and nothing else.

What you are describing is a multilingual site. I.e. content, menus, blocks etc. can appear in several languages. Translated Content can be shown when the appropriate language is selected etc.

For this kind of functionality you nee the Internationalizaiton modue http://drupal.org/project/i18n It allows you to do all your looking for.

aliawan’s picture

first i install locallization & then install i18n module. but right now there are three flags on front end but changing language doest not effect.

ap’s picture

The behaviour of the internationalization module can be setup differently. I.e. should content be shown which matches the interface current language or should all content be shown regardless of language. Theses are just a few. to see all the settings look at "/admin/settings/i18n" (advanced settings) and "/admin/settings/i18n/translation"
Also, do you have the content node translations related to one another?

Both the localization module and the translation module provide a lnaguage switcher block. One called "language switcher" (from localization i believe) another is called "translations" (from i18n i believe). These names are the names of the blocks in the admin block settings screen. However, when the blocks are displayed in the sidebars they have the same name. This can be confusing. I've had better success with the "translations" block.

Rick Hood’s picture

I have locale and i18n installed (Drupal 5.1). I am using English for default and Spanish for other.

Everything is working OK except for one major thing: when the translated node is created (Spanish) it is not in Spanish, it is still in English.

The Drupal interface is changing to Spanish fine, just the content is not. (I imported the po file for Spanish.)

Is i18n supposed to do the translation, or do you have to do it manually and put it in?

Thanks,

Rick

ap’s picture

you must create a node for each language of the node set. i18n simply correlates the two nodes so that when the language is switched it can show one or the other nodes or perhaps both.

For a completely translated website you would presumably need a set od nodes in English and a corresponding set of nodes in spanish. i18n simply knows which nodes corresp0nd and trys to show them at the proper times. It is also important to remember that the nodes must be "marked" to belong to one language or another. There is a field in the edit page which allows you to do this. If you do not set this up properly i18n will not make much sense.

There are different ways of setting up i18n (see my previous post). You can have it show only nodes of one language or another or have it show nodes of both languages simultaneously. You can also control how the site language should relate to the nodes. i.e. does selcting a spanish node cause the site (menus etc.) to switch over to spanish of tdoes the stay in english and only the node is shown. you need to set this up according to your needs.

on my site (english and german) I have the site switch languages whenever a node from a language is switched. If I have content that I want to show in both languages then I purposely leave that node to be not associated with any language. in the i18n settings I allow such nodes to be shown along with language specific nodes.

wickus’s picture

Hi Rick,
did you ever got your problem solved? I am fighting with the same problem. At least it seems to show the translations when I click on the desired language in the language block. But not really reliable to open the feature for public. For example the titles for the blocks I created on my own don't change into the selected language as the link titles stay English as well whether I translated them in the localization string management.

Thank you or anybody else very much for any help.

Greetings from Germany
Mario
--

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

Bill Cosby
Actor and Comedian

Rick Hood’s picture

Yes it is working OK on the one site I am using it on. Basically following the advice of the post above yours. If I recall, it was important to make sure the language is set on the first node created (e.g. English) doing a translation (Spanish in my case).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this:

But not really reliable to open the feature for public.

Could you explain?

wickus’s picture

oh that sentence wasn't really important to the question, I just meant I wouldn't make it available for people to use until this module works correctly.

I think I found the error now. I went strictly after the installation readme. Think there it kinda says after installing the module, activate only the internationalization and translation the others are experimental. So the menu and blocks translation weren't visible whether I translated them in the localization.

So now it looks like it is suitable for public eyes ;-)

Thanks again for replying so fast.
--

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."

Bill Cosby
Actor and Comedian