Hi all,
After testing Drupal 4.6.8, I decided to install - from the strecth - the drupal 4.7.4 but now i'm having problems with installing the translations.
I follow the same process of 4.6.8 (same server, same domain) but I got this problem:

The translation import failed, because the file could not be read.
The translation import of failed.

What's happen?

thx for any help.

frank

Comments

cog.rusty’s picture

Are there any more error messages in your /admin/logs?

Make sure that the upload module is enabled.

Also check your /admin/settings, especially the file system settings, for any complaints about the '/tmp' path. Try changing that to a new folder under Drupal with 777 permissions, for example 'files/tmp' without a front slash, to see if it helps.

ponticellinks’s picture

It seems there aren't additional errors.

I've:
- enabled the "upload" module (you were right, in the 4.9.8 I've it checked);
- checked the temp directory and set to "public/temp" because on other path it gives me errors

but I still have problems with localization :(
Both selecting:
- Strings in the uploaded file replace existing ones, new ones are added
- Existing strings are kept, only new strings are added

I really don't understand how to go ahead!

thx in advance for any further help ;)

Frank

cog.rusty’s picture

Hmm... more questions.

- Is the error message still the same? Telling you that "translation import failed, because the file could not be read"?
- Does a 'public/temp' directory really exist under Drupal, and is the 'temp' subdirectory writable by everyone (777)?
- Could your po file be a bad download?

What else could it be... What php version does your server use?

avior’s picture

Hi All
I have the same error , it seems to be a bug in 474,
because i have an 472 and 474 installation on my local disk. the import works fine in 472 but do not work in 474
when trying to import he.po (exported from 474 from http://drupl.org.il site), i get the error msg (no further info in admin/logs)

The translation import failed, because the file could not be read.
The translation import of failed

I have files directory and tmp dir with permissions
Any ideas ?

Avior

Neo_gr’s picture

The problem relies on the .htaccess file that exists in the temp drupal folder.

It states :

SetHandler Drupal_Security_Do_Not_Remove_See_SA_2006_006
Options None
Options +FollowSymLinks

where the correct values should be :

SetHandler Drupal_Security_Do_Not_Remove_See_SA_2006_006
Options All
Options +FollowSymLinks

It worked fine with me...

avior’s picture

I think that the problem is wider
I have 472 and 474 on the same local machine with iis so as far as i know the .htaccess file has no effect.
on both installation the tmp file is the same
both sites have the same permissions and defined in the iis the same
I gave the tmp file full control to everybody
Wider problem :
I have dowloaded from drupal site the ES.po file and I get the same error msg
I have deleted all records from locale_source & locale_target, no success there too
Maybe the problem is 474 locale.inc i have tried to compare it to 472 file but there are a lot of changes, i did not notice the problem
In drupal IL comunity people have imported the translation into 474 installation succefully, so it's not the code ...

Any Ideas ??

Thanks
Avior

cog.rusty’s picture

I guess you have checked if your 'files' folder has the same permissions and the same download method (private/public) in the two installations...

Is it the original 4.7.4 release? There have been several bugfixes and there is a more current 4.7.x-dev tarball linked on the right sidebar here. Mostly bugfixes.

tille@drupalcon.org’s picture

I had the same problem and searched for a solution for a long time. Nothing here nor in the Dutch, German, Swedish or Spanish Drupal forums could help. In the end, my php.ini file proved not to allow file uploads, this is apparently disabled by default on my Debian. This is what I changed in /etc/php4/apache/php.ini:

; Whether to allow HTTP file uploads.
file_uploads = On

the ariable file_uploads was set to Off previously. Restarted Apache just to be sure and my problem was solved.

--
My Penguin, my freedom. http://tille.xalasys.com
Books: http://writers.fultus.com/garrels

Uccio’s picture

I have the same problem, I have IIS 5.1 Php 4.4.1 end mysql 4.1.18-nt with drupal 4.7.4.

I have:

file_uploads = On

all privilegies for all directory

upload module on;

The same site with 4.7.3. work perfectly

cog.rusty’s picture

I wonder if it has to do with this issue which used to occur on Windows servers when magic_quotes_gpc=On

http://drupal.org/node/91624

You could try to set magic_quotes_gpc = off or apply the patch or update to the latest 4.7.x-dev.

CzarnyZajaczek’s picture

Simply create folder /tmp - in root directory of your hosting, not /files/tmp.
This folder is used by default by PHP for storing temporary files. However, if safe_mode is set On, then it won't work anyway.

But if you have all PHP settings OK, and cannot upload any file, just create /tmp and it should work.
If you have for example second domain/subdomain linked to subfolder (ex. www.example.com -> /example), you should create also /example/tmp, so de second domain will work properly. No need for special chmod, in most cases write permission only for owner will work.

And that's not problem related only to Drupal, but /tmp is needed for uploads in many CMS

--
Tomasz Dąbski "CzarnyZajaczek"
http://www.itlublin.pl