I have a bit of a problem, and I'd like to think the problem is on my end rather than a software defect. We have an internal web site where we use Drupal. Frequently, users complain (daily) that the page does not load accurately.

The page is arranged thus: mast, left column, body, footer. The left column tends to hog the rest of the page, forcing the body to be only about 100 px wide. I have my users send the source code, and there is nothing amiss.

I would hope the problem is browser relates, or browser compatibility related. I am assuming this is theme related.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose and/or solve?

Comments

ax’s picture

would help much

dausha’s picture

Not exactly how I can do that, since the source code causes 'suspicious content' errors.

Here's the salient part:

[table border="1" width="100%" cellpadding="7" cellspacing="0"]
[tr]
[td style="width: 182px; vertical-align: top; background-color: #99C;" align="center"]
(Left column)

[/td]
[td style="vertical-align: top; width: 500px;"]
(Center column)
[/td]
[!--
[td style="width: 130px; vertical-align: top; background-color:
#99C;" align="center"]
[/td]
--]
[/tr]
[/table]

In all my years (going on 9), I've never seen a render problem like this, but it happens frequently.

hba’s picture

I provided a screenshot of it when some of the main developers was at #drupal (a month ago), but they couldn't figure it out. It's really weird, and I cannot reproduce it. It just happens once in a while.

I have only experienced this in my primary browser (Mozilla), what browser do you use?

dausha’s picture

I use Mozilla 1.5, as does one of the others who has this problem appear, the other uses IE (not sure the version). I'm the only one on Linux, the others use Windows.

When they send me the source, I typically cannot reproduce the problem either, but when I start surfing the site, it happens intermittently. When I view the source then, it appears that the source is fine.

I thought it might be a CSS render problem, so I tried an HTML solution, but it still came up.

This really has me scratching my head.

paul138’s picture

OK, it's been my experiance that if you define 100% for the table's width and then re-define that setting in your cell tags, the table width will sometimes take precidence.

Generally, if you're using a fixed width (such as left=182px and body=500px) it's better to calculate the actual width based on thos settings (including any cell spacing/padding) and use that for your table width.

Try removing the table's width from the table tag and see if that works.

G Fairbanks’s picture

I occasionally had this same problem with JSPWiki and occasionally have it now with Drupal, but only with Mozilla. Usually restarting Mozilla makes it go away.