I realize xtemplate has an admin configurable top menu but I'm curious why it lacks part of the typical "Navigation" menu (i.e. home, forums, my account, etc.) seen in all other themes?

As a (very) new user of drupal, it was frustrating to see a big chunk of the site navigation suddenly disappear when I switched to the xtemplate theme.

If the "Primary" and "Seconday" links in xtemplate were done as PHP rather than HTML the initial installation could use the same method used by other themes to create the missing parts of the Naviagtion menu.

print $this->links(link_page();

Is all of this due to the changes in the the way themes are handled in 4.4.x or was it done by intent for some other reason?

Thanks,
JCR

Comments

flevour’s picture

Make sure you have Navigation Block enbaled in admin/configuration/blocks .
Actually you wont get to see the custom navigation links created from the static page form.
I created a temp patch to view them above the other navigation links.
If you are interested specify here which version of drupal you are using.

merlino73’s picture

In first sorry for my poor english.

I made a little changes to the xtemplate to obtain the navbar.

1 - in xtemplate.theme in the function Theme_xtemplate(), as last line I added:

$this->template->assign("links", $this->links(link_page()));

2 - in xtemplate.xtmpl I added a TD after the logo's TD.
I cannot put the full code because it break the comments :)

But it is something like that:

TD id="mainlinks" valign="bottom" align="center" 
{links}
/TD

3 - in xtemplate.css i added:

#mainlinks {
  font-size: 1.0em;
  padding: 0em 0.8em 0.5em 0;
  color: White;
}
#mainlinks a {
  font-weight: bold;
  color: #fff;
} 

I hope that could help you.

J.C. Roberts’s picture

Merlino, thanks for the code.

flevour, thanks for the offer but worry about it. I don't have drual in production yet so it's not a big deal. Right now I'm just testing drupal and it will be awhile before I'm finished getting familiar with the source, docs and architecture.

JCR

zakmck’s picture

Is there some hack so that the administrator may place {links} while he/she is configuring xtemplate (in "Edit Secondary Links" text box for instance)?

There would be needed something lik recursive expansion, able to expand {primary_links} and later {links} when found inside.