Let's see if I can keep this brief. I'm looking for a solution that will allow a client to replace Google Groups. I'm thinking that Drupal can do this, and probably do a better job of it. I've done Google searches for "Drupal Mailing List", and similar queries and everything that comes up seems to be D6 and D7 era stuff. I'm looking for something D9 (or at least D8) based. I've hunted through the modules list. I'm not finding what I'm looking for, but there are several hundred modules that come up as I search under the "mail" category, and I haven't gone and examined every module individually. I'm willing to "build my own", but I'm doing the research to see if there are existing modules that I can "tie together" or "build on", or if I'm looking at starting from scratch.

I appreciate any suggestions/advice/direction anyone can offer.

Comments

VM’s picture

searching the modules for 'mail' is far too generic which is why you were inundated. Google may aid in narrowing down. But replacing google groups doesn't mean anything to me as I've never used it. I assume you are seeking to replace the following features?

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/46601?hl=en

may need to start with the drupal group.module and build out from there.

gisle’s picture

It looks like there is not much around of production quality for Drupal 8 or Drupal 9.

Also, Google Groups has a lot of built-in functionality. For example, an event calendar, and a system for assignment tracking. I don't think any of the existing mailing-list projects (whatever version) cover such use cases. If you want such features on your Drupal website, you need to look for additional contributed projects.

FWIIW, check out this page: Comparison of email newsletter oriented modules. It looks like it could do with some updating as for the current D9 status, but you can click trough an examine the project pages.  There is also Notifications via e-mail comparison, but those listed there are probably less relevant to your use case.

Based upon the descriptions on the project pages, Mailing List seems to be the best fit for your needs, but it looks like it's stalled in Beta (no progress since 2018), and would need some TLC to have Drupal 9 release.

- gisle