I am rebuilding my Drupal 6 website in Drupal 9 as it is probably faster than trying to migrate. One of the things I am having issues with is the ckeditor interface. With ckeditor and drupal 6 I had control over font, text size, text color, text background, line style and weight as well as attaching images and image resizing. I have been exploring the available modules for using with drupal 9 and downloaded several. I am having trouble getting some of them installed as one of the requirements for most is placing the plugin.js inside the ckeditor plugin folder. I cannot find such a folder. What is the proper location? After referring to the documentation it seems it is written around Drupal 8 and the file tree does not match drupal 9. What is the proper location for the plugin? I am not a programmer and I do not know how to use composer. I do have composer installed but thats it. I could use some help. My webhost took my site down July 13th because drupal 6 was running php 5.2 and they now won't allow anything less than php 7.1. I am backed into a corner trying to get my site re-built and trying to reproduce my pages with ckeditor while at the same time trying to learn Drupal 9. If there is a better editor than ckeditor that would be ok too. 

Thanks

Comments

VM’s picture

please link to a module that states:

one of the requirements for most is placing the plugin.js inside the ckeditor plugin folder

WJKJR’s picture

Panelbutton, ui button, and colorbutton in particular I am having trouble getting to work. The instructions are confusing to me. I did create the libraries folder and placed the folders in the root as instructed but when I went to enable and install they were greyed out with a error that plugin.js needed to placed in the ckeditor plugins folder which 1. I cannot find and 2. it may be named something else. I'm frustrated which is the reason I reached out for some help.

VM’s picture

looking at the project pages for them, they also indicate that /libraries/ is to be used. the plugin.js issue should be researched in the issue queue of the modules in question to see if there are similar reports. Personally, I'd test on a vanilla install to insure that the issue can be reproduced without any other modules in the way. If it can, and there are no similar reports in the issue queue, file an issue for the maintainers to review.

Else please post the exact wording of the plugin.js message so that it can be researched by those on the forum who will take the time to dig deeper. Using your current wording isn't narrowing it down when I perform a search.

--edit--

a deeper dive indicates that some of the ckeditor modules such as https://www.drupal.org/project/ckeditor_indentblock will find libraries if at /libraries/ckeditor/plugins/ but should still find them if @ /libraries/ . I suppose where they are placed is a organization preference. If you want them in /libraries/ckeditor/plugins/ you would need to create that file tree. If you have and the plugin.js files still aren't being found, the first thing I would check is folder permissions.

WJKJR’s picture

Creating the path  /libraries/ckeditor/plugins/ worked on a fresh install without any modules. I have a couple of more ckeditor plugins I want to install and if I receive anymore path errors, I will post. I placed the new buttons in the basic configuration but they won't show up I guess until they are configured. 

slewazimuth’s picture

Hosting is available where via cPanel you can switch between PHP 4.4 thru 8 on the fly. As for CKEditor here its running on Drupal 9.2.2 as a quick silent youtube video upload. https://youtu.be/0cX-EKUmKSc

WJKJR’s picture

That would be great but Drupal 6 quits running at either PHP 5.5 or 6 so I am still stuck with the rebuild.

slewazimuth’s picture

Stuck in what way?

WJKJR’s picture

I don't know Cpanel. To review my experience. I built my site with drupal 6 in 2010. Since uploading to the host I have been nothing but an editor of my already existing content. Fast forward to 2021. My domain host pulled my site down for the reasons of PHP versions. Alot has changed in 10 years. I don't do this for a living nor am I a programmer. I'm more of a drag and drop user. I am able to access my database on the host server to salvage my files but as far as the content goes. I tried unsuccessfully to migrate my site back to a local host using Apache 2.1. I don't know what I was doing wrong but I finally gave up after several attempts. This is what prompted me to go ahead and build a fresh new site using drupal 9 hoping that with the new features, updates and site maintenance will be easier than previous versions. So at this point in my experience I am having to relearn everything I forgot from the first site and adding composer, drush, and cpanel to the mix is kind of overwhelming to me. Currently my support has come from the gracious drupal community, youtube, and my own documentation research as well as trial and error. My site has been down now for 2 weeks and I am working as quickly as I can to get it restored. Am I in over my head? Short answer is yes. Am I going to give up? No. My site is really a simple site as far as content and is made up of mostly pdf and jpgs in addition to the internal content. There is just alot there to duplicate and my biggest issue is with the core ckeditor and the default tools. It lacks most of what I was using in the paid version and is proving difficult to duplicate. 

slewazimuth’s picture

What is your site's domain name and do you own it? 

WJKJR’s picture

I don't know Cpanel. To review my experience. I built my site with drupal 6 in 2010. Since uploading to the host I have been nothing but an editor of my already existing content. Fast forward to 2021. My domain host pulled my site down for the reasons of PHP versions. Alot has changed in 10 years. I don't do this for a living nor am I a programmer. I'm more of a drag and drop user. I am able to access my database on the host server to salvage my files but as far as the content goes. I tried unsuccessfully to migrate my site back to a local host using Apache 2.1. I don't know what I was doing wrong but I finally gave up after several attempts. This is what prompted me to go ahead and build a fresh new site using drupal 9 hoping that with the new features, updates and site maintenance will be easier than previous versions. So at this point in my experience I am having to relearn everything I forgot from the first site and adding composer, drush, and cpanel to the mix is kind of overwhelming to me. Currently my support has come from the gracious drupal community, youtube, and my own documentation research as well as trial and error. My site has been down now for 2 weeks and I am working as quickly as I can to get it restored. Am I in over my head? Short answer is yes. Am I going to give up? No. My site is really a simple site as far as content and is made up of mostly pdf and jpgs in addition to the internal content. There is just alot there to duplicate and my biggest issue is with the core ckeditor and the default tools. It lacks most of what I was using in the paid version and is proving difficult to duplicate. 

slewazimuth’s picture

What is your site's domain name and do you own it? 

WJKJR’s picture

ocrgc.com and yes I own the domain name. Windstream is my domain host. 

slewazimuth’s picture

Separation of domain registrar company from site hosting company is the norm and therefore if someone has any kind of issue with the hosting company they can switch hosts and then point their domain to the IP address of the new host. Takes less than 15 seconds. Over the years I've changed hosts three times. (The C in Cpanel means Control. Therefore, Cpanel is control panel.)

WJKJR’s picture

Once my website was taken down my IP address no longer worked. The only access I have other than their host webtool phpmyadmin is the ftp server where i can access my drupal files. If I wanted to move my site to another domain how would I accomplish that?

The thing that has been aggravating is I had a working website on the host and when I tried to move back locally nothing worked. 

VM’s picture

I assume you mean move to another host rather than 'move to another domain':

OLD HOST:

EMPTY cache tables, sessions table & watchdog table

export a copy of the database

copy all files and folders

NEW HOST:

import database

upload all files and folders

edit settings.php if anything needs changing (DB username, DB Password).

The above holds true even to move to a locally hosting machine.

If you truly do mean to 'move to another domain', you would procure the new domain and point the new domain to the host.

WJKJR’s picture

I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks.

mmjvb’s picture

as described above by @VM

Obviously, the most important setting to change is the `host` for the database. Although it would be possible to leave the database where it is now, most of the time it travels with the site to the new host. When it is set as `localhost` you can leave it like that most of the time.

Other database settings could also remain the same, it does mean that you need to make sure that database user exists with proper privileges on the new host.

Sounds like you could use the Drupal download instead of using Composer. The download is based on legacy-project template. So, it is ready to be managed with Composer. But, no need to learn Composer when you are not going to use it.