Hi...I just installed clean instance of Drupal 8 (no modules, as is).   Created Event Content Type with Field Type of Date (Event Date).

Created a quick view to test setting up a Filter Criteria on the Event Date Field to only show those nodes for the current year. 

In Drupal 7 this was easy by using the now but can't get it to work in Drupal 8. 

I've tried using various combinations of Operators for "an offset from the current time..."  (is equal to, is between, etc.) and can't get the results that I need.  Either no results found or nodes in 2018 from 1 year from now are listed.  I just want to get nodes with dates of only this year.

I also tried setting up the Event Date field as a Contextual Filter set to "Provide a default value" and select for Type Current date and get php error:

Drupal\Component\Plugin\Exception\PluginNotFoundException: The "date" plugin does not exist. Valid plugin IDs for Drupal\views\Plugin\ViewsPluginManager are: node, taxonomy_tid, current_user, user, fixed, query_parameter, raw in Drupal\Core\Plugin\DefaultPluginManager->doGetDefinition()... drupal8\core\lib\Drupal\Component\Plugin\Discovery\DiscoveryTrait.php)

Environment: apache 2.4.29/PHP 7.1.14