I'm currently in charge of updating a companies existing website. However, I am experiencing a few problems when attempting to update the website. These problems are:

1. The website is extremely outdated and running Drupal 6.34 and I'm unsure how to update this
  2. I'm unsure as to where the previous developer stored the files for the website and how to access them in order to back them up
  3. I'm unsure as to where the database is stored 

Somebody please help as I have little to no prior Drupal experience. Thanks!

Comments

VM’s picture

1. I'm unsure as to where the previous developer stored the files for the website and how to access them in order to back them up
  2. I'm unsure as to where the database is stored

The above need to be dealt with first and you need to figure out where the site is hosted. utilize the host login and view the hosting admin panel. None of this is inside Drupal.

The site in question has likely been hacked and had backdoors inserted in it as it has been in an insecure state for a significant amount of time. I also imagine that if core has been left unmaintained so has the contributed modules in use. As such, updating to the lastest version of Drupal 6 isn't prudent its end of life was over two years ago. At minimum the site would need to be cleaned and then upgraded to a minimum of Drupal 7. In my opinion, you are looking at a full rebuild.

Steven.Schwartz’s picture

The host is GoDaddy. First, how can I check to see if the website has been Hacked? Second, how would I go about completely wiping the site clean?

VM’s picture

hacked - any users in the site that are suspicious particularly in the administration role? any files in the file system that don't belong?  Any suspicious javascript being run in files or in the database?

wiping site - login to go daddy delete database and delete all files/folders.

Yes, it seems there is a user simply named "carlos" when the other users have explanatory names and roles. It seems you were right! After wiping the site clean, should I follow the directions to download the most up to date Drupal 8?

VM’s picture

I suggest using Drupal 8 yes.

I'd move the existing site to a local machine so that you can rebuild users, content etc. I'd leave the existing site offline and build out your D8 site in local. I'd do it locally to avoid having an issue building in public. I'd then add an index.html file to the site that states the site is down for maintenance or other verbiage of your choosing.

Suprisingly, this was actually an employee of the company. Instead of having to wipe the site clean, would I be able to update directly from Drupal 6.34 to Drupal 8? 

VM’s picture

mileage will vary depending on what contrib modules are in use. D8 requires a migration of data from D6/D7 to D8 and is not a straight upgrade. D8 is an entirely new species. D6 is an extinct species and D7 is endangered. I certainly wouldn't do any of this on the production site.

In fact, I'd argue that a rebuild would be quicker rather than both upgrading the site, the theme and the modules in use.

I agree. How would I migrate the site to a local machine? Also, would the imbedded pictures, logos, and themes be saved within the site if they were to be moved offline? Lastly, would I still cascade delete the database and files within the hosting panel? Thanks for your help!

VM’s picture

if windows set up a LAMP stack using WAMP. If Mac you will need to find the equivalent. I believe its MAMP and may be preinstalled in Mac OS.

copy the database

copy the files and folders

clear cache tables, watchdog table, and sessions table in the database using the DB tool phpmyadmin or clear said tables before exporting the DB on the host.

get the site working as expected first.

yes, you would delete all files/folders and database from host.

Should I zip the database and files/folders onto my local desktop then proceed to set up a LAMP?

VM’s picture

assuming you are using MYSQL database the file will be exported in the proper format and does not need to be archived in a zip/tar.

whether you zip/tar the files/folders is up to you. You can also utilize a FTP transfer tool such as filzille and ensure SFTP is enabled for security.

I am downloading WAMP as we speak and have exported the database. Now, from my understanding, I will ensure the site looks how I want on WAMP and finally clear the cache and delete the existing database and files/folders from the hosting cPanel? Lastly, I will then download Drupal 8 and display a message to the user about the website being down? Please correct me if I am wrong! Thanks again!

VM’s picture

if the site is on your local machine you will clear the tables there not via cpanel. in fact, cpanel has nothing to do with this beyond giving you access to your phpmyadmin database tool.

rather than put the cart before the horse lets focus on your current site.

you will export the database from production

you will copy all files/folders from production

in localhost you will set up environment to host a local site

you will import your database

you will empty the cache, sessions, and watchdog tables

you will place your files/folders

you will edit settings.php to point to the database on localhost

you will then call the localsite in the browser.

see https://www.drupal.org/node/1995312

Once again, thank you for your help. I will thoroughly read the link you provided and hopefully resolve these issues. Thanks again!

Michael-IDA’s picture

I have to disagree with VM (which is pretty rare) on a at least one point here.

DO NOT run the D6 site on your local machine.

The odds of the D6 site being hacked are near 100%. There is no reason to even potentially infect you local machine.

For safety, the other things I’d change are:

• Leave the D6 site exactly where it is and do nothing else to it.
  • Do nothing else on that hosting plan.
  • Developer a new, from scratch site. [1]
  • If feasible, just re-write all the content instead of copying it from the infected site.
  • Buy a new hosting plan and install the new site on it. [2]
  • Do not copy any files from the old hosting plan to the new hosting plan.
  • Do not make, or retain, any backups from the old hosting plan.
  • Change DNS settings to point to new hosting plan.
  • Verify new site is running.
  • Cancel the old hosing plan.

Best,
Michael

[1]
D7, D8, WordPress, etc. Do spend about 10 hours Googling to determine whatever fits your needs best. If you’re functioning now on GoDaddy, the odds of you wanting D8 are pretty low.

[2]
Personally I’d never use GoDaddy, but they aren’t completely horrible for low traffic sites. They should have also shut off your hosting long ago for security issues...

Drupal Hosting

NIH Cancer Study: Supplemention with both vitamins and fenbendazole exhibited significant (P = 0.009) inhibition of tumor growth.

Through a few hours of research in regards to WordPress, D8, D7, etc. I have found that WordPress best suit the companies needs. I have built a few websites through WordPress and feel more comfortable with it as a CMS. I will be starting from scratch to create a new website. If I have any concerns I will try and contact you through these replies. Thanks for your input!