Hello,

i want to setup the multisite in drupal 8 and i want like wordpress where there is a main site and other sites and from the main site we can create a subsite and manages all subsite is it possible in the drupal 8? is there any provision where all subsites can be managed and there is a gloabal site dashboard where all subsites can create rather than the we have to create a folder or there is any module for the same

There are some questions related to the multisite and I want to ask is it possible in drupal 8  like wordpress have multisite concept

Super Admin

1. Can create a n number of sub sites from main site front-end (a.foo.com, b.foo.com). We have wildcard entry for foo.com
  2. Can administer any sub-site created from main site.
  3. Can create content and can choose under which sub-site it will be available. (One content can be shared across multiple sub sites)
  4. Can create menus and can choose under which sub-site it will be available.
  5. Can create users (admin/editor/approver) for sub-sites.
  6. Should be able to set permission for the users (admin/editor/approver). For example add/remove/edit global navigation within the boundaries that the OEM Super Admin set for the site theme

Sub-Site Admin

1. Modify content and blocks only for his sub site.
  2. Modify theme, create new theme.
  3. Configure google analytics and other social media plugins.
  4. Can modify node created by Super Admin.

Issue

1. Which module to choose Domain AccessSitesSpacesOrganic Group?
  2. Solution for Drupal 8

Please respond asap I am waiting for your reply it is very urgent

Comments

VM’s picture

There no singular default dashboard to run all sites in a core multisite installation. Each site would have its own Admin UI. Of the module you've chosen, I suggest domain access module for your investigation which has been released as alpha for D8. Sites.module dosen't have a D8 release. Organic Groups doesn't have a D8 release (see groups.module). Spaces does not have a D8 release.

subsites aren't created from the Drupal admin UI. You would need to utilize Drush and/or composer to launch new sites via a command line, else manually install.

garglalit0’s picture

@VM Thanks for the reply,

So according to you like wordpress we can not setup the multisite in drupal8 

if we are using the different databases for each subsite can we access the other database from a site?
if we developing the multisite in drupal 8 so, is there no need to setup the main site? Because every tutorial and documentation insatll the subsite no one tell to develp the main is there no need to set up the main site.
If we need to set the main site so what we have to do and is there any need to set up a new data base for main site and how we will procedd and where we put the database details for main site.

Please help me i m in stuck and i have to start my multisite project in drupal 8 waiting for your valuable response it will be more helpful for me.

Thanks & Regards

Anonymous’s picture

I am in a similar situation and wondered what direction you went. Thanks!

Ananda’s picture

Is it possible to have a main-website and sub-websites in different folders in Drupal 8 ? Anyone ?

mmjvb’s picture

When having multiple sites, advise them to be in separate folders. Don't nest them in other folders that are sites as well. Unfortunately, the sites won't share anything in that set up. They are completely separate, just happen to be on the same computer. With Drupal, a site consists of the code and the content stored in a database. Depending on the site you can have assets stored in private/public folders. All other content is found in the database. The folders are for code and possibly those assets.

By default, sub-sites go to the main-site unless directed somewhere else. Nothing to do with Drupal, basic networking! 
Obviously, this is in combination with your web server set up.

As mentioned above, it is possible to share the Drupal code amongst sites, known as multisite. Each site is separate but using the same Drupal code. Possibly adding site specific code, overruling the general code. Each site using their own set of tables to store their content and separate folders for private/public assets.