I have a high-level page which is displaying the main menu in blocks. One of the main menu items links to a URL. however, on this page, it is going to a node. When I go into edit mode the page is blank. when I go to edit the menu item the correct URL is shown... How do I edit this page item??

Comments

Michael-IDA’s picture

Hi Sorina,

> I go into edit mode the page is blank

Do you mean you get a WSOD? Just site header/footer(s)? The edit form with the Body empty?

Guessing, it sounds like you have a URL composed of all blocks? If so, there would be no actual node content to edit, so find the block(s) and edit those?

For testing, just add something unique to the node in question (“xyz789”), save, and then see where it’s being displayed.

Try looking at permissions as well...

Give a bit more detail and we can probably help a bit more.

Best,
Michael

Drupal Hosting

NIH Cancer Study: Supplemention with both vitamins and fenbendazole exhibited significant (P = 0.009) inhibition of tumor growth.

sorina.vanvroenhoven’s picture

Hi Michael,

This is the page in question: http://www.wielandinc.com/en-us/products

I did not make it, and I have only used WP so please bear with me as I am unfamiliar with the drupal terminology. 

When I try to edit this page to change the target of one of the blocks I only see the page title, empty teaser and text areas, and "provide a menu link" is checked. 

I don't know where the edit settings for these blocks are located... I want to change the target of one of them from a node to an outside URL. 

Michael-IDA’s picture

Hi Sorina,

Edit:
As a suggestion, it can’t hurt if you tell us what the current and new URLs you want, before you do the below. That way we can verify these steps are correct.

# # #

That’s most likely a View of Taxonomy terms, not a page of blocks…

Which if you’re trying to “change the target of one of the blocks” isn’t really that important. You’re needing to make the change at the Taxonomy level. Try this:

Home » Administration » Structure » Taxonomy
/admin/structure/taxonomy

- Find the Vocabulary name your Products are in
- Click ‘list terms’ to the right of it
- Click ‘edit’ for the term itself (ex: Terminal Strips)
- See if you have a ‘URL path settings’ section to change the URL. If not, tell us what you have on that page.

If your site is setup to do ‘URL path settings (Automatic alias)’ just change the Name of the Product and the URL will change by itself.

Best,
Michael

PS:
Security tidbit: You’re running Drupal 7, which is being exposed by CHANGELOG.txt. If you have access to the server, delete these files from your site’s root directory.

CHANGELOG.txt INSTALL.mysql.txt INSTALL.txt MAINTAINERS.txt UPGRADE.txt COPYRIGHT.txt INSTALL.pgsql.txt LICENSE.txt README.txt INSTALL.sqlite.txt

Makes it a touch harder for spam bots...

Drupal Hosting

NIH Cancer Study: Supplemention with both vitamins and fenbendazole exhibited significant (P = 0.009) inhibition of tumor growth.

Hi Michael,

The current URL for the safety product is: http://www.wielandinc.com/en-us/products/safety-technology

The desired URL is: http://wieland-safety.com/

Unfortunately, I do not see Products (or anything else it might be listed under) in taxonomy. just downloads, news, and regions. Could it be a permissions issue? I do not have full admin access. 

And thank you for the security tidbit! 

Michael-IDA’s picture

> The desired URL is: http://wieland-safety.com/

Ah, that’s a whole different can of worms. I doubt you’ll be able to change that internal to Drupal. Easiest solution is to modify your .htaccess file (in your site’s root directory):

Near the end you’ll see this section:

# Various rewrite rules.
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine on

# Set "protossl" to "s" if we were accessed via https://.  This is used later
  # if you enable "www." stripping or enforcement, in order to ensure that

Change it to:

# Various rewrite rules.
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine on

####
  # Must do before Drupal gets a hold of the rewrite
  RewriteBase /
  RewriteRule ^en-us/products/safety-technology$ http://wieland-safety.com/ [R=301,L]
  ####

# Set "protossl" to "s" if we were accessed via https://.  This is used later
  # if you enable "www." stripping or enforcement, in order to ensure that

> I do not see Products (or anything else it might be listed under) in taxonomy. just downloads, news, and regions. Could it be a permissions issue?

Possibly, but if it’s not there, it could be any of a dozen other ways to ‘flag’ the nodes for a View to show it as your site has it.

Drupal Hosting

Thanks Michael. 

Just a couple of follow up questions if you don't mind. 

1. why do I need a rewrite rule to change the target URL?

2.If there a way to find out how the nodes are flagged? The person who made the site is no longer around. 

Michael-IDA’s picture

Hi Sorina,

You’re quite welcome.

> 1. why do I need a rewrite rule to change the target URL?

Because Drupal will prepend the existing site domain to all URLs it controls. Key there is ‘it controls.’ It won’t change URLs in the content you add, but the URL for any node/view/block/etc. is something it controls.

> 2.If there a way to find out how the nodes are flagged?

Know Drupal. That’s not really a sarcastic answer. There are probably over a dozen different ways to create your products page, down to the ugliest that it’s hardcoded in the theme template files. On the good side, usually, the sub-pages (safety-technology) will use the same method(s).

Not having full administrator permission is definitely a hindrance though.

# # #

Final tidbits

> Using non-domain site URLs

Moving part of a site off to a separate domain is usually bad SEO. See a SEO person for a full explanation.

> The person who made the site is no longer around.
> I am unfamiliar with the drupal terminology.

Drupal has something like a 1000 hour learning curve for just being a competent beginner administrator. Which is about the level someone needs to be to know off the cuff that this isn’t a Drupal issue, it’s a ‘something else’ not Drupal.

Obviously, as a Drupal services provider, I’m going to recommend the site owner should hire someone who knows Drupal to handle these non-admin tasks to include doing proper site maintenance, knowing what QA to do for any changes made, and managing the server.

Using this whole thread as an example, this is a 1 minute fix, which doesn’t even qualify as a billable event for any worthwhile, experienced Drupal developer. I know that I wouldn’t have charged for it.

I’ve gotten off topic, please do follow up by email if you and your company need someone to handle the non-adminstrative, site maintenance, and other backend tasks.

Best,
Michael

Drupal Hosting