Hi

my hoster locked out my drupal site because of excessive email use, so I installed the smtp authentication module and set it up for gmail.

I now am unable to send emails from the site and suspect it's because of excessive traffic again - log file below.

Has anyone any suggestions as to a fix or solution and how do I ascertain which module is causing the traffic?

Most of the emails are daily updates to research forums being sent to registered users

thanks

Ian

MTP -> get_lines(): $str is "250 2.1.5 OK m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp "
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data was "250 2.1.5 OK m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp "
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: 250 2.1.5 OK m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data was ""
SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is "550 5.4.5 Daily user sending quota exceeded. m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp "
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data was "550 5.4.5 Daily user sending quota exceeded. m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp "
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: 550 5.4.5 Daily user sending quota exceeded. m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp
SMTP -> ERROR: DATA command not accepted from server: 550 5.4.5 Daily user sending quota exceeded. m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data was ""
SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is "221 2.0.0 closing connection m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp "
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data was "221 2.0.0 closing connection m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp "
SMTP -> FROM SERVER: @byemsg
A test e-mail has been sent to xxxxx@xxx.co.uk You may want to check the logs for any error messages.
SMTP.module is active.

Unable to send e-mail. Contact the site administrator if the problem persists

Comments

jen0dorf’s picture

Found another couples of logs

phpmailerException: SMTP Error: Data not accepted. in PHPMailer->SmtpSend() (line 731 of /home/linweb17/w/wsmfhs.org.uk/user/htdocs/sites/all/modules/smtp/smtp.phpmailer.inc).

Error sending e-mail from wsmfhs2018@gmail.com to i.edwards@edwards-micros.co.uk : SMTP Error: Data not accepted.

SMTP server error: 5.4.5 Daily user sending quota exceeded. m6sm1228128wmb.6 - gsmtp

thanks

Ian

jen0dorf’s picture

Hi

I have the subscription module loaded and have been having issues with sending notifications via my hosting company so I change to google smtp only to have the same issue. - as explained above

However after going into admin-config-system-subscriptions I found the following message:

12,457 active and 327 suspended items in the queue. So I purged the queue so tha it now reads

0 items active and o suspended items in teh queue

15 minutes later I checked and I now have 1307 active and 16 suspended items in the queue.

Google only allows 500 emails a day so clearly I am exceeding this.

It seems that something is generating emails on the site ? or is my logic totaly wrong?
If the former how do I trouble shoot?

thanks Ian

VM’s picture

Core does not send emails on a regular basis as it has no subscription module by default. I suggest reviewing the settings of the subscription module and make a determination on how your users are using the site. It very well may be that you are beyond the resources any shared server or free SMTP will provide.

jen0dorf’s picture

Thanks I'll take a look

Ian