Hi, I'm new to Drupal8, since it's officially released just few days ago.
I use my Hosting (IIS,PHP 5.5.29,MySQL) for the new site.

I was able to install Drupal8 without any Problem.
However after the installation the site does not show any theme applied, all plain text displayed.

Take a look here: netzwerken.ch
What is missing, any obvious hints?
Thanks for support

Comments

VM’s picture

you've css aggregation enabled. Disable and test. If the CSS then works, it indicates a possible permission conflict on the files folder or the subfolder where the css is being aggregated.

integrativ’s picture

Thank you for the hint - and yes: if I deactivate this function,
it looks better - however it does not work really nice

E.g. the logo does not display, and for example with theme Bartik the header is not displayed in 'blue'

On Folder permissions, all Folders have read/write - except file settings.php set to read-only

So actually I have no idea what could be wrong - except: I have not investigated into settings.php-Details
Is it possible that some configurations in there will affect this as well?

VM’s picture

it is unlikely that settings.php would cause an issue.

trying to pull your logo file directly in the browser produces an apache 500 error : http://www.netzwerken.ch/sites/default/files/logo-L_III.jpg

have you made any changes to the default .htaccess file?

have your cleared your database cache and your browser cache and cookies?

integrativ’s picture

Thanks for this fast Response again!

I discovered the same right now - for css-files I get 500 error also. *Strange*
I suppose I have to get to the support of the hoster...

VM’s picture

integrativ’s picture

I was told the issue is because of the ".htaccess" file.
Just to test it I renamed the file in sites/default/.htaccess to x.htaccess -> after that it works.

However what does this mean.
I checked the Drupal 8 - install files, there is no such file in this subdirectory.
Is this a file introduced by the install procedure or did I do something wrong (whatever, just dont know yet)?

the file looks like:
# Turn off all options we don't need.
Options -Indexes -ExecCGI -Includes -MultiViews
# Set the catch-all handler to prevent scripts from being executed.
SetHandler Drupal_Security_Do_Not_Remove_See_SA_2006_006

# Override the handler again if we're run later in the evaluation list.
SetHandler Drupal_Security_Do_Not_Remove_See_SA_2013_003

# If we know how to do it safely, disable the PHP engine entirely.
php_flag engine off

What I discovered: the .htaccess - files gets automatically copied to the directory from time to time, or even after some changes in the Administration...
Any suggestions? Thanks

math-hew’s picture

I'm on IIS as well. The trick here is to create a directory called .htaccess in all folders where the file is showing up.

slewazimuth’s picture

Bin | Dec
100 - 4 readonly
101 - 5 read+execute
110 - 6 read+write
111 - 7 read+write+execute

Most files and directories in drupal 8 on a nix system are set to 0755 except for the default directory which is 0555. The settings.php file is normally 0444 and the default.services.yml file is 0644

5 is read + execute (read/execute) so if your permissions for Drupal 8 are read/write that would mean they could be at 6 not 5.

integrativ’s picture

Thank you for this clarification - I'll check These rights resp. I'll apply the rights accordingly.

slewazimuth’s picture

The .htaccess file like all files on nix that begin with a period are invisible files. Specifically the .htaccess file is used by several web servers as a directory level configuration file. Likely why IIS doesn't know what to do with it and why renaming it so it wouldn't get used was clearing things up. All the rewrite directives in the .htaccess file would need to be mapped to IIS equivalents. Consult with your provider.

ncDevMan’s picture

You saved me a bunch of time. Thanks! This was exactly my problem. I was getting file permission errors on folders that weren't there (temporary:///fileasdsdgd) and had no idea where they were coming from. None of the bootstrap parent or child theme was rendering. It all makes sense now.

karukera7’s picture

Hello All,

I'm new to drupal, I could install it without any issue. However when trying to create a new theme from scratch by creating file called "filename.info.yml' and save it under the drupal root path on ubuntu, so path is :
/var/www/html/drupal/themes/custom/filename/filename.info.yml
and file content is like this, I followed instruction given on drupal forum : so filename.info.yml content is like this below:
name: filename
description: 'description'
type: theme
package: Core
base theme: false
core: '8.x'
version: 1.0
project: 'drupal'

then save file, and I refreshed my drupal locally installed several times, logged out and logged back in, and nothing appears as a new theme under the appearance section. Can you help for this please ?

Regards

VM’s picture

your question does not pertain to the opening post. Please create a new post. Thank you.

karukera7’s picture

ok

pimok3000’s picture

Hi,

i also had this problem on different D8 distributions and found out that i can leave the .htaccess in the webroot folder untouched when i add the RewriteBase to my vhost config of apache in the first entry:

<Directory "/var/www/html/drupal">
        Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
        AllowOverride All
     RewriteBase /

</Directory>
globexplorer’s picture

I guess you installed drupal with composer and you did a minimal install. In that case the plain STARK theme will be your enabled theme. You can just enter admin/appearance and choose bartik for example and your issues are gone!

couturier’s picture

Just wanted to say thanks VM for the advice. I changed files permissions to 755 for sites and default folders, 775 for files folder, corrected the .htaccess file, cleared my browser and the problem was solved somewhere among those actions.