Happy holidays! I have a Drupal question that I think will be a quick fix but has been troubling me for a while.

I'm using the modules Media and Media for Youtube, and am using the "Youtube preview image" option to display thumbnails of the videos on as the teaser, and the full video on the node pages. I would like to have these preview images also link to the node, but unlike with standard images not handled by Media, I can't find how to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

esposito.ch’s picture

Want to bump this, would really appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks.

dlsmore’s picture

I have also been trying to figure this out all day, with no luck. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated!

timz’s picture

I'm having the same problem -- the preview YouTube image displays but not as a link, can't figure out how to get it to link. Anyone?

flashingcursor’s picture

Ok, so -- seems like a bunch of people have run into this issue, including me.

I'm assuming you guys are using Views to render your content / blocks / etc.. This is how I did it:

• Create your view, add the fields you'd like displayed.
  • On the "Content: Video" field settings, choose the "preview" option under formatter - this displays the thumbnail.
  • Add the "Content: Path" field to your view
  • Uncheck the settings for label, check the box for "exclude from display"
  • Click on rewrite results and select "Use Absolute Link"
  • Next you'll need to reorder your fields so that "Content: Path" is above "Content: Video".
  • Edit your Content: Video settings.
  • Go to rewrite results and check "Output This Field as a Link".
  • Put [path] as the link path.
  • Save it.
  • Your done.

You should now see the preview below your settings -- if you hover over the video preview, it should now be linked to the correct path of the full node.

Warning: I am a total Drupal NOOB, so there may be a better way around this - but I'm guessing it would involve a patch to update the media formatter to add a link option. Maybe a patch I'll write when I'm not as swamped.

Hope this helps -- pissed me off, but helped me learn the power of Views a bit better, so I guess I'm good with that. ;-)

Cheers!

cooldeeponline’s picture

Thanks a lot.

I've tried a lot of solution by now, including colorbox but nothing worked. And your solution worked like a cakewalk for me.

Cheers!!!!

sbydrupal’s picture

Awesome!!! Without a separate module, works like a charm. Thanks for sharing!

flashingcursor’s picture

Updated community docs here: http://drupal.org/node/1437180

chris_h’s picture