For some reason, I can't seem to login into my localhost (windows 7 + apache) Drupal admin account. I know I have the correct password since validation tells me when it is not correct. I believe it might be a session issue and I tried clear my sessions but that didn't work.

I looked at my sessions table and each session has no SSID. I don't know if that matters.

What is the best way to reset admin to default settings to fix this issue? I have made a lot of modifications and I don't want to loose them.

Comments

bawoor’s picture

ꦱꦠꦽꦶꦪ

carlwhittick’s picture

I was working on a Drupal 7 theme and I got logged out (No idea why). Now when I attempt to login I get a Username/Password incorrect error even though I logged in with the exact same information before. Since that failed I have re-hashed myself a new password using the shell script provided in the "/scripts" directory, inserted it into the database and am still getting the same error.

Any help would really be appreciated.

4x3’s picture

Anyone find a solution to this?

Having same issue, logged out as admin, then when trying to log in I get the access denied page - only in Firefox. I am able to log in through Safari and on other computers.

bigonroad’s picture

Any ideas guys? I have rehashed the password, but its not working.

Currently can't log into my site!

(Grr)
Chris

bigonroad’s picture

In the end, I logged in as another user, then logged in again as user 1 and it worked.

No idea why...

bawoor’s picture

your admin passwords automatically saved by firefox. if you're not log-out normally this password is still store and locked. trying to clear all firefox cache to new login.

ꦱꦠꦽꦶꦪ

Rahul Seth’s picture

Thanks @Aha, I faced the same issue but after logged with another user, I tried to loginned as admin. And it worked. I think it's browser issue.

rajeevkumar’s picture

Hi bawoor
I tried this but its not working. Any other way to resolve this ?

Screenack’s picture

D7: I had this problem, and I knew it would be simple to fix. And it was, once I wrapped my mind around it.

I'm using ckfinder and I have to define a cookie path. I had defined it locally but not for the new hosted domain. I updated that and boom! I'm in.

Thanks to this simple reminder here: http://nice3z.myfinejob.com/unable-login-drupal-access-denied

The author mentions base_url, but that triggered my recollection of updated paths in my settings file. (Interestingly, this error will not throw an error to the log, since, nothing's wrong, really)

yooperjb’s picture

Kyle,

Thanks a bunch for that solution, worked perfectly. At first it didn't work until I cleared my browser's cookies and then all was well.

zielwasser’s picture

Thank you so much, that was very helpful!

kobever’s picture

worked!

hockey2112’s picture

This fix worked for me. I am in the process of duplicating a D7 site for a client who needs a econd site with similar branding and data. Once I changed the cookie domain in the settings.php file, my problems were solved!

Kristofivan’s picture

i have the same problam i cant log in to my site in the normal way (only with Request new password) althought I know the correct password and username......

Can you please explain a bit more detailed what do you mean by: "Once I changed the cookie domain in the settings.php file"

Thx,
Kristóf

davmorr’s picture

There is a config setting in the settings.php file: $cookie_domain
Set that to your base domain host name: www.yoursite.com
You can also share a base domain to accommodate multiple subdomains: .yoursite.com
There are relevant comments in settings.php file.

NOTE: if the $cookie_domain value is set to $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], which some admins do as a shortcut in the 'sites/default/settings.php' file to make the code base more portable between site installs, you would be advised to set this to the hard-coded host domain name. The reason for this is that on some sites, esp. local dev site installs, may have a port number appended to the domain name, which is picked up in the $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] var value; i.e. www.yoursite.com:8080

The port number WILL break the cookie set process, which will defeat the authenticated session upon login redirect since authentication is tracked across pages via cookies. Super frustrating if you don't know what to look for, as nothing necessarily looks wrong with this - $cookie_domain = $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] - when doing a general troubleshooting and debugging review trying to find the cause of the authentication error.

I figured this out the hard way after stepping and digging through code and process validations over the course of at least one work day, when I pulled down a site code base and database from a staging server to fix unrelated issue items. Apparently someone recently changed the hard-coded domain value to the global $_server['http_host'] var. This looks legit when doing code review, trying to isolate where the authentication is breaking, and there is nothing technically wrong with this approach. The only real problems with this approach are that 1) the $_server['http_host'] value is not guaranteed to work with Drupal's cookie processing, and 2) that its validity is deceptive, as in it 'looks' like it should work, making it easy to skim over and dismiss as the cause of this bigger issue.

deerta’s picture

This works for me.

flatfeat’s picture

I had switched from Hostgator to a test domain in Rackspace, and had my old domain on the $cookie_domain line in settings.php. Commenting it out is what made this work for me. Thanks.

Swarnendu-Dutta’s picture

Thanks a lot for digging into this.
Finally i now know why it happened.. :P

~Swarnendu Dutta

Sushil Kumar Sharma’s picture

Thanks
It works for me.
There was $_SERVER['HTTPS'] = 'On'; in my settings.php. In this way you need to disable and login by admin.
Clear you site cache,if you change your domain name or site URL.

krisrobinson’s picture

Thanks for posting the solution, my problem was CKFinder cookies too.

_ch4ng3d’s picture

Kyle Skrinak's suggestion solved the problem for me.
Awesome, thank you!!!

johnflyersmith’s picture

I have a fresh install of Drupal 6 on a new machine. I can install a site, but can not make changes or make content. When I look at the database there are no changes. I can change the database from phpmyadmin. Also, tried root db user in settings.php.
PHP 5.5, MySQL 5.3, IIS7, server 2008

iris28349’s picture

The cache on the website, in the performance setting had a hiccup. Since I set the maximum page age to the oldest: one day, I had to wait one day to log in again since my last successful attempt. That did the trick. Nothing drastic necessary.

I may consider shortening the maximum page age to something a little shorter if this happens again.

Suggestion to Drupal Developers: make sure the maximum cache age isn't too long so problems like these have a solution. If it were unlimited or several weeks, it would be a disaster.

sillygwailo’s picture

This happened to me. After copying a live site to my local environment, I couldn't login with the #1 account with what I knew to be the right password. The login would appear to work, redirecting me to the right page, but showing an access denied error. The solution was to comment out the line in the localhost's version of settings.php that started with $cookie_domain = since it was set to be tied to the domain it was originally on. I also commented out the line starting with $base_url = for good measure.

(Username formerly my full name, Richard Eriksson.)

Anonymous’s picture

This solution worked for me thanks Sillygwailo - just had to flush all caches and login again. done

attheshow’s picture

$cookie_domain (within settings.php) was the problem for me as well.

Stoob’s picture

Our server went down, had to reboot. After reboot, no user could login. Always received "access denied" message.

Solution was to truncate the sessions table.

Login to MySQL or use PHPMyAdmin.
truncate drupal_sessions;"

(or whatever your prefix is)

HTH

leistiko_texvet’s picture

Our issue:
We have a Drupal 7 website. A user was unable to log into his account from Internet Explorer. I was able to log into their account with Chrome and Safari, but not Firefox (I did not try IE, as I'm running Mac OS X.). The situation persisted after clearing all caches on the site and running chron, after resetting the user's password, and after clearing Firefox's browser caches and cookies.

It's worth noting that I've seen similar login issues from a few other users... Enough to suspect that this was a system issue and not user-specific. So I asked Google...

Steps to Resolution:
I found this post, and using this knowledge, I was able to fix the situation through the standard Drupal admin interface (Bonus: I also "fixed" a setting left by my predecessor in this position.).

On our Drupal site, on the Statistics admin panel:

http://texvet.org/admin/config/system/statistics

..."Discard Access Logs Older Than:" was set to "Never."

I did the following:

• Changed "Never" to "4 weeks" and saved that change.
  • Ran chron, waited a few minutes and got a timeout error page.
  • Reloaded the page, waited some more, and got a normal Chron admin page with the "Run Chron" button.
  • Ran chron again, waited about two minutes, and got a normal "Here's what happened after running chron" report page.
  • Used Firefox to try logging in with the user account that was not logging in and it worked fine.

I figure the timeout happened because it was busy purging a load of old records.

Bonus for doing it through the standard Drupal admin interface: I changed the setting that was causing the system to save too many records in the first place, so this should not recur (Here's hoping!).

Let's hear it for a shared knowledge base! Woot!

odyseg’s picture

Thank you very much! At first I thought I has something to do with my .htaccess file. I once had it to setup the inclusion of 'www' for my domain. I log out to my site not knowing in the end that I will have the difficulty to enter my site! I am entering the correct credentials but it always give the access denied label under /users/myname. The same when I try to request reset password.

Thanks again, your a life saver :)

okokokok’s picture

Tried all of the above (and more, such as OpenID). Nothing works, I can't log in to my dev site. It's a recent upgrade to D7 from a D6 site.

Thanks to donquixote I tried giving some more permissions to the anonymous role. And it works. Like that I have access to the admin part of the site again. Will need something better in the long run so I'll keep this updated. Of course you should only try this at home, never ever do this if your site is accessible to random people on the internet.

endless_wander’s picture

I had this problem after copying a site from a live db to a local one.

I found running the update.php file solved the problem for me. No updates were done, but after running, my site started working again.

Po3t’s picture

I'm running into this same problem now. This is the first time I've tried accessing my admin account (user/1) from a different computer and I get access denied every time I try to log in. The only way I can successfully log in is if I reset my password every time. I can log in no problem with other accounts.

I've cleared my browser's cookies, I've cleared all caches, I've even manually set a password through MySQL. Nothing seems to be working. I'm currently trying to login while I'm on vacation in the U.S. when I originally created the account in Vancouver, Canada. I can't imagine that it would have an issue with attempting to log in from a different region.

Once I login after a password reset, I change the password, save everything, and then I log out, attempt to log back in and it fails. This is all happening on a live site, not a local installation. I've never encountered this problem before, so I can only assume it's a problem with logging in from a different machine and in a different region. Anyone have any other solutions to this issue?

akira’s picture

I just have the same problem. I need to 'Request new password' all the time before 'Log in' process.
it just happened two days ago after i changed previous Password.

Any Solutions ?

akira’s picture

Solution is: i truncate 'flood' table

jessicakoh’s picture

This is the best solution.

Your login is being blocked as spammer/bot.

haythem_emerya’s picture

Merci pour la réponse. j'avais le même problème et en suivant votre solution sa fonctionné.

kip stanning’s picture

similar problem, on several pages access denied for user no. 1. went to admin/people/permissions checked all permissions for administrator (create content, delete content, etc. were unchecked), saved permissions and all admin links reappeard on head of page (administration_menu).

regards from vienna forest
karl

quessity’s picture

Repairing a broken sessions table fixed this problem for me.

mareshal’s picture

Taken from this post :
http://drupal.org/node/1023428

Execute the following commands from the command line, in the Drupal root directory:

./scripts/password-hash.sh newpwd

or for Windows:

php .\scripts\password-hash.sh newpwd

Of course, change "newpwd" to the desired password. If the password contains special characters such as a space, * or ? you must escape them, or wrap the password in quotes appropriate for the shell used.

The script will output a password hash that is valid for the site. Copy this to the clipboard or write it down somewhere; you'll need it for the next step. Be careful not to include more or less characters as the hash. These hashes look somewhat like $S$CTo9G7Lx28rzCfpn4WB2hUlknDKv6QTqHaf82WLbhPT2K5TzKzML

Then execute the following query on the Drupal database:

UPDATE users SET pass ='thepasswordhash' WHERE uid = 1;

To execute this query it will be necessary to login to the database. This is typically done through the command line or through a GUI interface such as phpMyAdmin.

willvincent’s picture

This issue was stumping me for an hour or so today. Turned out the cookie domain was being defined in the settings.php file, so while login authenticated successfully, cookies being set were set for the wrong domain so access would always be denied.

I was certainly scratching my head for a while there as to why password resetting wasn't working either via the UI or with drush.

Follow me on twitter.

fyberoptik’s picture

Thanks Will!!!
I had this variable as part of the domain access module.

Reset cookie to match my local dev addresses, now working fine.

metzsmaksit’s picture

I was having the same problem so stupidly I went into my phpmyAdmin and tried to make a new user with the same privelages, and after that didn't work i clicked "no password" and now when i go to the page to log in i find a message saying

"PDOException: SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'Drupal New'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in db_table_exists() (line 2761 of /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/Drupal New/includes/database/database.inc)."

What do I do??? Please someone help me.

The Hawk’s picture

I have changed the default front page via dashboard -> Configuration -> System -> Site information
and now i can no longer access the login page.
At first, the default front page field contained mysite/node. This works fine and is what i need, but i changed it to mysite/user/login. The reason for this change was because no matter if a person is logged in or out www.mysite.com does not redirect them to the login page. So, being new to drupal, I decided if I set the default front page to mysite/user/login then they would be forced to see the login page.
The problem I am now facing is that i cannot log in to the site to make any changes.

I have tried several different url paths such as:
mysite/user
mysite/user/login
I have also tried the unclean url versions. If i try mysite/admin I get an access denied message.

So my question is, where is the change i made stored in drupal 7's database? I would like to just edit the field that stores this change back to what it was to "unbreak" the site.

sushantpaste’s picture

Value of "site_frontpage" is stored in the VARIABLE table .

Hth
S

le dendrite’s picture

I was having this trouble also. After reading through a lot of the comments and attempting various fixes with no success, I decided to try something and it seems to have resolved the issue. Not exactly sure why, maybe someone else will have that insight...

All I did was change the password in settings.php to something invalid, causing the site would crash.
Then I changed it back to the correct password again.
Refresh and use password recovery.
Success, the link from the recovery email successfully brought me to my edit user page.

Drupal 7.22

**** Update ***
Issue is randomly back, and my previous fix has proven to be a coincidence I guess.

*** Update ***
Alright so the following finally worked for me.
As Noted in settings.php "Make sure to always start the $cookie_domain with a leading dot, as per RFC 2109."

$cookie_domain = '.MySubDom.MyDom.com';
$conf['https'] = FALSE;

Specifying the $cookie_domain in any other way was not working for me.
Hopefully this fix sticks.

*** Another Update ***
Issue still exists in Safari, only Safari... Any Ideas?

brijesh.yadav310’s picture

Thanks le taco for this solutions great its working.

geerlingguy’s picture

One way to quickly reset your password if you have drush is to run the following command:

drush @site-alias ev "require_once DRUPAL_ROOT . '/includes/password.inc'; print user_hash_password('newpassword') . \"\r\n\";"

(Where @site-alias is a drush site alias, and newpassword is the new password you want to use).

Then take the output that you get, and insert it as the new 'pass' value for your user account (in this case, user 1) in the users table. You can do this via drush as well:

drush @site-alias sqlq "UPDATE users SET pass = outputfromearlier WHERE uid = 1;"

(Where outputfromearlier is the output of the earlier drush command).

geerlingguy’s picture

...and even easier - see: Recovering the administrator password.

If you have drush, you can just do drush uli, copy the one-time login link drush gives you, and paste it in your browser.

le dendrite’s picture

you receive access denied after login, regardless of login method. At least I do.
Still having some trouble, actually. idk wtf is going on, but it's not much fun.

inri13666’s picture

I had a similar trouble.
The trouble was in call "drupal_settings_initialize" in a template file :)
P/S do not call this function manualy !!!

mariocantor’s picture

Well, I had the same issue, and after a couple days trying to fix it... finally I found that the problem is not cache , cookies or domain_cookie.... the problem i found in my case is the PHP version at the hosting. please be sure the version is 5.3 not 5.4///
so is really annoying issue, simple to fix it... but not easy to find it... all the post about it, did not mention something about PHP version... so hopefully this solve your problem..

VM’s picture

I don't believe the issue is caused by all versions of PHP 5.4. I use PHP 5.4.29 and don't experience the login issue. It may be better to focus on the release of 5.4

ecj’s picture

On local server, OSX Mavericks with PHP 5.6.3-dev I had 2 problems & solved:

1. 127.0.0.1 (localhost) not resolving (httpd problem) -> unset the firewall/stealth settings -> OK now

2. Chrome browser couldn't log in to admin, but Safari could -> changed php to the std libexec php version -> OK now for Safari & Chrome

Hope to save others precious time by signalling those bugs.

henns20’s picture

thanks - you got me in right direction.
#2 is what I was dealing with. Was not completely sure completely what you meant or where you did it by 'changed php to the std libexec php version ' - Changing the preferences on MAMP to the PHP 5.6.2 to 5.5.18 did the trick. Chrome allowed me to log on. Thanks for that note.

nicrodgers’s picture

...I came to the same conclusion, this build of PHP breaks Drupal. Switching to the version included with Yosemite fixes it.

saltednut’s picture

I had the same issue. UI-based installations were failing and I was unable to login via the webform. Drush based logins were working fine.

I rolled php back from 5.6.2 to 5.5.20 and I am no longer experiencing the issue.

_gramur’s picture

To get it working for me was clear the sessions in Chrome.

Using Chrome:
1. Right click and Inspect Element.
2. Click the "Resources" tab
3a. Locate "cookies"
3b. Expand cookies tab
3c. Click on your Site (it should be your site URL or server name if you are on a local server)
4. Locate the cookie sessions. Usually the cookie sessions will start with "SESS". If you do not see this in your cookies you might have to truncate your session table in your site's database:
truncate table sessions;
5. Right click the SESS cookie and select delete
6. Log back in.

I briefly wrote about me experience here

_
Founder
Sivius.ca

featherbelly’s picture

Before you do anything complicated - just clear the cookies for the website!

Something like this makes it easy:

http://www.editthiscookie.com/

roopeshnaik’s picture

strangely this resolved for me by setting temp path - drush vset file_temporary_path 'someexistingpath'

screon’s picture

This worked for me! It is the first time I encountered this problem ever, setting the correct temp path did the trick.

knalstaaf’s picture

Thanks, these steps helped indeed.

pawel.traczynski’s picture

Within 60 drupal sites that we did, for just one of them we had to officially set $cookie_domain in settings.php.

For other 59 sites, this setting wasnt necessary unless we wanted to share cookies across domain and subdomains.

So if you have problems logging in, you can try setting your $cookie_domain.

The problem occured for us at Rackspace Cloud Sites hosting.

I am a Drupal developer and astrophotographer.
https://www.astrobin.com/users/pawel.traczynski/

athakural’s picture

I faced the same issue in my fresh install of drupal7 on localhost. What I did is just un-commented the line
#$cookie_domain = '.example.com';
to
$cookie_domain = 'localhost';

It solved this issue.

houmem’s picture

i have the same problem, ich changed the chmod of the update.php file to 777 and that worked fine

markbannister’s picture

Same problem but site was supposed to be connecting https but only connected http. Session cookie was set to ssl only.

vjsutar’s picture

I have face same problem on chrome, I have clear all the cache of browser from beginning and problem is solved.

tienbienit1992’s picture

I just run "sudo a2enmod rewrite". It work for me.

knalstaaf’s picture

You may want to try the drush uli command.

sam-elayyoub’s picture

I had the same issue and i solve it by:
1- Base url if it's on your local env "can solve the issue of login access denied + ajax issues"
2- Drush cc all (would show you if there is a problem with a module especially with your rebuild registry) "mine was the feature module trying to rebuild old feature"
**- Try to take off the $cookies_domain on your local env because it's holding your right results to show up and keep showing what's wrong instead

hope this help because it helped me to solve mine