I'm trying to add images to my story type and I've been a good boy and not asked any questions, instead I've spent the last two weeks searching and researching.... i know how people on support forums get when I ask stupid questions.

So rather than ask how to do what I want to do, I'd like to know how to find out.

My trouble is that nearly every set of instructions I've encountered has instructed me to go to "CCK >> something." I'm on 5.1 so I know that it's called "Content" but "Content" was a menu item long before I had the "Content" module installed. There's no "CCK" menu anywhere, so I have to assume that all these marvelous tools people are referring to should be somewhere under "Content" or "Content Types."

My question is: When I see someone write "simply make a CCK.... " or "go to CCK and...." where do I go to find something analogous to what they are talking about? There are no CCK options anywhere in my menu structure. Not in Content Management, not in Site Config, not in Site Building. When I create a new content type, is that automatically a CCK content type? I could have sworn there were content types before I installed the Content module, so that doesn't make sense.

As you can see, I'm very confused. If I can get past this, I'm sure that all the rest of the instructions will make sense. Until then, I can't even add a select box. Well, not one with anything to select in it anyway. The select options are supposed to be added through CCK. *sigh*

Please, someone take mercy on the thickheaded idiot (me) and tell me where to look for CCK configs/options/content type creation.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

csc4’s picture

What do you have at /admin/content/types?

smscotten’s picture

" * List
* Add content type
* Autosave
* Fields
* Export
* Import "

What was confusing me is that CCK modified "Content" rather than adding "Content". Now that that is clear I think I'm set. Thanks!

Michelle’s picture

CCK is a contributed module that's in downloads called "Content Construction Kit". It's actually a package of modules so, when you install it, you'll get a bunch of modules on your module page. The content.module is the required part of it. The rest are just fields you can add. There are also more fields that aren't part of the main package that you can download separately.

As of 5.x, there is a sort of CCK lite in the core Drupal install. This allows you to make new content types without adding any additional modules. But you can't add any fields to these new content types unless you install CCK. So if you just want to make new content types with a title and a body, you don't need CCK. If you want to add extra fields to them, you do.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Michelle

--------------------------------------
My site: http://shellmultimedia.com

Tistur’s picture

My question is: When I see someone write "simply make a CCK.... " or "go to CCK and...." where do I go to find something analogous to what they are talking about? There are no CCK options anywhere in my menu structure. Not in Content Management, not in Site Config, not in Site Building. When I create a new content type, is that automatically a CCK content type? I could have sworn there were content types before I installed the Content module, so that doesn't make sense.

Before you enabled CCK, Content Management -> Content Types gave you a list of content types. If you hit the edit link on any of them, you could edit the name and the description, and you could change the label of the 2 fields (Title & Body). You could also fiddle with the workflow. Creating a new content type gave you essentially the same options.

After enabling CCK, when you hit edit, you'll get the same page - but with tabs on the top. Edit, which you're at, Manage Fields, Display Fields, and Add Field. Manage Fields and Display Fields will be empty until you have added at least one field (using, of course, Add Field).

It's a bit more complicated than that, but hopefully that'll get you started.

EDIT: This is assuming you've downloaded and installed CCK, and have turned on at least Content and at least one of Text or Number, all under the CCK heading in Site Building -> Modules.

smscotten’s picture

So a CCK content type is any content type created (or edited, presumably) after CCK was installed. Yes, I do have "Content", "Text" and "Number" enabled.

Your clarification helped tremendously, thank you! Now I can follow instructions with confidence that I'm actually doing what the instructions say! Well, at least the instructions that tell me to make CCK content types, anyway.