Hello all.

I am new to Drupal and now a little bit swamped by all the functions.
I searched for a tutorial to setup an example website, but didn't find any.

Could you help me, please?

I want to know,
how to create a correct/clean/useful menu structure.

The website should have a topnavigation (header) and a submenu (sidebar).
The links in the topnavigation are the categories (like "Home", "Sports", "Garden", "Contact", ...).

The submenu depends on the categorie. So, if you choose "Sports", a submenu shall appear,
with links to nodes like "Football", "Swimming", etc.

What's the best way to put into practice?

First create a vocabulary? Or a block/menu? (need to create for each submenu a new block?)
Shall I use the primary/secondy links?
How to realize the depending submenu?

Need a little guide, please.

Comments

phnad@drupalcenter.de’s picture

The navigation / menu structure shall look like this (fictive names):

• Home
    • Tour
    • About
  • Sports
    • national
    • international
  • Garden
    • lorem
    • ipsum
    • dolor
    • sit amet
    • consectetur
    • adipisici
  • Games
    • eiusmod
    • tempor incidunt

Home, Sports, Garden and Games shall appear in the topnavigation.
Tour and About shall appear in the sidemenu, if you choosed Home;
and so on.

need help :|
or a link to a guide

... please, anyone?

Drupalace-1’s picture

phnad, sorry that no one is answering so far...

I think your desired menu structure is not hard to make. A few thoughts:

1) From the admin menu settings, you should be able to easily see how you can add menu items to the primary menu, and then add sub-menu items underneath a given menu item, right? I think you're okay there, but speak up if not.

2) The tougher question: what should each menu item or submenu item link to? That can be a little tricky for newcomers. For your menu structure, I would use tags ("terms" in Drupal), to tag each content node with "Sports", "Home", "National", "International", etc. Then for each menu item, set the link to return all nodes tagged with the appropriate tag (i.e., "term"). That's how I typically do my menu items.

Is that process okay for you, or do you need instruction there?

3) Submenus: I have used the "primary/secondary menu" structure. I believe that if you set up submenus as above, and set both primary and secondary menus to use this same menu, then clicking one of the main menu items will reveal the second levels of menus as well, as a secondary menu.

A catch: make sure the theme you're using supports secondary menus! Some themes may not output a secondary menu.

I hope that's of some use –

--------

Newbies unite! One Drupal non-guru's slow road to enlightenment: http://www.drupalace.com