I guess tracker module has serious issue. We don't notice on it here on Drupal.org, because all the comment are placed in the same page with the first post. But I have forums on my website with some threads which will continue forever, and it is impossible not to brake threads into pages. Well, when I configure comments to have some maximum number in one page and brake long threads into many pages, then the issue with tracker module rises - it does not lead to last comment page, but always leads to the first one. And this apparently is an issue. The links on tracker page have to take into account the number of pages into which long threads were divided and to lead to the last comments anchor in the page, doesn't it?

I would appreciate, and believe many other would do, if someone could advice how to make for the links in the tracker (the name of the thread itself or "new" link) to actually take you to the last posted comment (or last unread comment) in a thread instead of the opening post as it currently does.

Thanks!

Comments

Chill35’s picture

I don't remember where I have read this, it was on drupal.org, and it may have had to do with an old version of Drupal... anyways Drupal supposedly has a hard time (i.e. bug) in linking to comments on page 2, 3 or higher up in a thread.

I have a related question : I notice that in most non-drupal forums, if you do a search and that leads you to a very long thread, you have to find the comment by browsing from page to page in that thread, you are not pointed toward any particular comment in that thread. Is it the same for Drupal ?

Curious Caroline

yngens’s picture

Well, I tried hard to find a solution in the forums and seen lots of discussions, but nobody actually resolved this issue. At least, I couldn't find. I would appreciate a link to right thread.

Chill35’s picture

Take note that Drupal probably should NOT always point to the last comment page. We can reply to any comment, even those in the middle of a thread, so the latest comment may actually be on page 2 in a 3 pages-long thread.

Caroline

yngens’s picture

That's true Chill, however those who want can disable function of replying to any comment (actually this can be easily done by removing the link itsel), then all the comments in their forums will follow each other and last comment always will be in last page. That makes easier to make the tracker work in a desired way.

But since yesterday, I realized there will be another problem if clean URLs are activated and URLs for different node types are configured in different ways. It will be harder for the tracker module to find and generate right path to the last comment. Though there is nothing impossible and I am pretty sure some Drupal gurus have already done that. I am just having troubles, because not very good in PHP - I am trying to change the code of the tracker module, but every time I create something crashes. Tired of doing it without experience in programming. But I have no choice, but to find out one or another way of doing it.

Please, if anybody knows how to do it, share your knowledge.

Thanks!

Chill35’s picture

In the issue that I give a link to below (below Steven's comment) there might be a patch there to try (the "code needs work", is the status of that issue).

By the way, I have seen this but can't find it anymore, do you have a link to that thread where it's explained how to disable the "reply to" -- I saw in that thread an elegant solution where the "reply to" link stays but it fires a different action : the "add a comment" action.

I don't think it was in the handbooks. I am interested in changing that myself.

Caroline

yngens’s picture

Thanks Chill, I will look your link and will give a try to the patch. As for removing "reply to" link, I did not follow any instructions on drupal.org - I have Russian language website with localization module activated, so I just put empty space instead of translation of "reply to" expression. Probably, this is not the best solution, but is easier way for Drupal users who have websites on their own languages.

sepeck’s picture

Search the Drupal issue queue for 'pager'. If the comments are on the first page of a thread, then it will work, if they are not, then it won't.

The fix is complicated. And it is an old issue.

-Steven Peck
---------
Test site, always start with a test site.
Drupal Best Practices Guide -|- Black Mountain

-Steven Peck
---------
Test site, always start with a test site.
Drupal Best Practices Guide

Chill35’s picture

Here is the issue : http://drupal.org/node/6162

Comment links don't work if comment is not present on first page of pager.