When i check the messages on the watchdog page on /admin, i see an awful lot of
Got error 28 from storage engine query: SELECT DISTINCT(p.perm)
errors.

When I check the details I see that this error happens on several pages, not 1 in particular

The additional information on the details page is:

Type	php
Datum	Dinsdag, januari 10, 2006 - 14:38
Gebruiker	Anonieme bezoeker
Locatie	/node/9
Bericht	Got error 28 from storage engine query: SELECT DISTINCT(p.perm) FROM role r INNER JOIN permission p ON p.rid = r.rid INNER JOIN users_roles ur ON ur.rid = r.rid WHERE ur.uid = 0 in /usr/local/www/doesb.org/www/drupalx/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 66.
Severity	error
Hostnaam	68.142.249.73

Pardon the Dutch.

Anybody knows what it can be?

All suggestions are welcome.

Comments

robertDouglass’s picture

This happened to me this morning =)

The error come when MySQL doesn't have any free hard disk space to write to. Check your /tmp directory, that's where I had run into problems. I had forgot to make my backup script delete older backups and it kept writing backups until the disk was full.

- Robert Douglass

-----
My Drupal book: Building Online Communities with Drupal, phpBB and WordPress

bonobo’s picture

and I received this error --

My tmp dir was empty, and I had plenty of disk space left in my server account. The size of my database file was relatively small (2.1 MB), but I emptied the cache to save some space.

Basically, I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary.

While the error went away, I'm wondering of this error is caused by something on my site, or could this be caused by another site on the shared server using the same MySQL install?

Thanks,

Bill

-------
http://www.funnymonkey.com
Tools for Teachers

bonobo’s picture

I'm currently trying to sort this out with my hosting company --

I've truncated the caches of my db'es in an effort to save space, yet the error persists.

Can this be caused by other customers on the shared server using the same MySQL install?

Thanks,

Bill

-------
Tools for Teachers

bonobo’s picture

and the answer is, yes, on shared hosting, you share a MySQL install (and the space allotted for the MySQL install) with all the other users on a server.

So, if you have a shared hosting account and your db address is "localhost", you are sharing that MySQL install with other users on your server. Consequently, you can receive the ""Got error 28 from storage engine query" through no fault of your own -- it just means that their is no storage space left in the install.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Cheers,

Bill

-------
Tools for Teachers

expl0it’s picture

anything we can do if our db is full

and if i buy a server will i not face this problem i mean dedicated server

dahamsta’s picture

Just a note to say thanks, popped this up from a google search from the error and yout got it in one.

adam

mark.lindsey’s picture

@robertDouglass - We also ran into this issue and it was due to MySQL running out of space. Thanks for helping us debug this.

Jacob’s picture

I've got the same errors, checked with my provider (www.hostingit365.com) and the reason is the same - tmp directory was full. They cleaned it up and now things are back to normal.

demeester_roel’s picture

Same here,, Cleaning up /var/log/mysql helped a lot :)

markfullmer’s picture

Likewise, I requested that my host provider clean up the tmp (temp) directory, and the problems disappeared.

siyerindu’s picture

Hi ,

I am getting this warning and page is not displayed ,this was the last view i have made in this site.For all other views it works fine.Is it becoz of any problem in that view.I am using the same server for a database used by the development server also.Can u pls help me.where shall find this tmp folder.

user warning: Got error 28 from storage engine query: SELECT node.nid AS nid, node_data_field_date.field_date_value AS node_data_field_date_field_date_value, node.type AS node_type, node.vid AS node_vid, node_data_field_date.field_item_value AS node_data_field_date_field_item_value, node_data_field_date.field_seaonalimage_fid AS node_data_field_date_field_seaonalimage_fid, node_data_field_date.field_seaonalimage_list AS node_data_field_date_field_seaonalimage_list, node_data_field_date.field_seaonalimage_data AS node_data_field_date_field_seaonalimage_data, node_data_field_date.field_content_value AS node_data_field_date_field_content_value, node_data_field_date.field_content_format AS node_data_field_date_field_content_format, node_data_field_date.field_culinaryuses_value AS node_data_field_date_field_culinaryuses_value, node_data_field_date.field_culinaryuses_format AS node_data_field_date_field_culinaryuses_format, node.created AS node_created FROM node node LEFT JOIN content_type_seasonalspecial node_data_field_date ON node.vid = node_data_field_date.vid WHERE (node.status <> 0) AND (node.type in ('seasonalspecial')) ORDER BY node_data_field_date_field_date_value DESC, node_created ASC LIMIT 0, 4 in /home/domain/public_html/sites/all/modules/views/includes/view.inc on line 771.

Thanks

Anonymous’s picture

Saved me lots of troubleshooting. Thanks!

monti’s picture

have seen this error on a small site on shared hosting.
here is another confirmation for the cause - full /tmp filesystem

Cheers !

beyond67’s picture

Had similiar issue. My watchdog logs were empty and my views would show up as empty. Since the tmp files were full, the views couldnt create a cache of the view hence it showed up empty.

Server issue.