Greetings,

I am new to drupal. It was working fine but after I changed the log in configuration, that it hides and only displayed in user's wish, I am not given permission to access administer even I being an administer user. It says access is denied. All previlages regarding access are given to authenticated user in access control. Also the drupal's index.php results "The page cannot be found". How do I access the administer now?

Will anyone please suggest me?

Prajna

Comments

John Hwang’s picture

Login First

First make sure you're logged in. With the administer access privileges you won't be allowed to access the "administer" pages. Access the login page by going to the following address:

Login with the first user account you created with. This ensures that you have "root" or "administrative" privileges.

Go to the administer page

Once you've logged in, direct your browser to one of the two following addresses:

1) Using Clean URLs

http://yoursitename/admin - replace "yoursitename" with the domain to your website

2) Not Using Clean URLs

http://yoursitename/index.php?q=admin - once again replace "yoursitename"

Hope this helps.

prajna’s picture

Thanks, I can access the administrator page now. But when I try to log out, the page does not appear instead the message, 'The page cannot be found', is displayed. What is wrong now??? Then again I have to manually get into the administrator page as mentioned.

Prajna

John Hwang’s picture

That's either because

1) Anonymous users(i.e. logged out users) should not be able to access administration pages. This is a good thing. You don't want random visitors to access your administration pages.

2) the "access administration pages" is not checked for the authenticated user role. That is why, even though you're a logged in user, you might not see the administer menu or not have access to the page because lack of privileges.

To check your site's user privileges goto administer-->access control then check the appropriate checkboxes under "System."

arrohith’s picture

Hello John,

I have a new installation of Drupal 4.7.4 on a Win XP machine with Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.2.0.

After I created the first user account, I not able to access the 'administer' menu on the left hand side. Once I click this, I get an 'Access Denied' page.

I tried your suggestion, but with that I am able to see the page and not change anything at all. As soon as I change some values, I get back to the same 'Access Denied' page.

I would like to know if there are any config details not mentioned in the installation handbook. I am not able to further configure the Drupal installation. Please help.

- Rohith

arrohith’s picture

At least 2 solutions to this problem have been discussed in detail at http://drupal.org/node/20397. This should solve the problem.

drupalgurl’s picture

Brand new installation - I saved the user name and password after installation (plus got an email). I have the identical issue. I'm off to see this site to see if it has the answer.