i am new to drupal and so far i am loving it. one problem i have not found a solution to is how to manage and customize the header and navigation links. is there a adminstration page for header and navigation links? how would i make a link entitled, "music" and then link it to as you put it, "a page with all these similarly-classified items grouped together (using the taxonomy URL syntax noted above)".

i would like to find, if it exists, or suggest, if it does not exist, a link management panel that allows an administrator to:

- create a header link (permalink) to to a path that "lets me see all the stories that were part of (.../taxonomy/page/...)". for example i could create a link, "Music Reviews" that would goto the path ".../music/reviews" and display all the nodes under the "../music/reviews" taxonomy term.
- disable certain links in the Header Links Class or Navigation links such as the News Feed. I would display some header permalinks in a navigation block and some navigation permalinks in the header links.
- order the links I do want displayed in the header links in a specific order from left to right.
- order the links I do want displayed in the navigation block in a specific order from top to bottom.

does anything like this exist or does someone know how to make it if it does not exist?

Comments

cherylchase’s picture

To customize the row of links at the top of the page, edit the array of custom links at the very bottom of conf.php.

To create a perma-link (actually, just a prettier link), use a url alias (enable the path module, then administer/url aliasing). Then you can add the prettier link to the custom array in conf.php.

egrotke’s picture

Please indicate what directory this file is in

farutherford’s picture

I am also new to the tool but faced a similar problem. If you use xtemplate as your theme, you can configure the links (primary and secondary) for the site. While this isn't the end-all-be-all solution, it does work.

Set your theme to xtemplate then go to administer >> configuration >> themes >> xtemplate and set the links you want in Primary and/or Secondary.

Cheers,
Andy

egrotke’s picture

I can't find anywhere what url do I use to make changes once I've done the intial setup.

Thanks for any help,
-Eric