Hello, 

So far I have used contributed modules for D7 & 8. I like to start learning D9 module development.

I am looking for some free courses just to get some basic knowledge before I purchase any paid course. 

Can you recommend me some guide, free and paid courses to learn D9 module development?

Thank you!

Comments

drupol’s picture

Can I also create D9 module following these steps?

https://www.drupal.org/docs/creating-custom-modules

VM’s picture

in general yes but D9 may need some specifics not included in those docs since they were written for D8. hence using the api docs in working through them.

gisle’s picture

There is a page here bout the Sipos book: https://www.drupal.org/node/3160615 - it does not get a very good review.

I've only worked my way through the Form API chapter, and I cannot get the code in the book to create  a custom block to work.

- gisle

drupol’s picture

I do not know anything about symphony. I heard that I need to know symphony before I do module development. 

Just wanted to confirm. Do I need to know symphony before I start developing modules? 

What other technology should I know first? This way I do not struggle developing modules. 

VM’s picture

in general, you do not need to know Symfony unless you are working on core development. You aren't writing for Symfony. You are writing for Drupal. However, what you need to know is dependent on what exactly you intend to do in your own module development. Start small work your way up the ladder.

Jaypan’s picture

I don't know any Symfony myself, other than what I've probably learned incidentally by doing Drupal development, without even really realizing that I was doing something with Symfony. When doing Drupal development you interact with Drupal APIs that interact with Symfony, and very rarely interact directly with Symfony itself.

To do back-end Drupal development you need to understand:

• PHP
  • YML

To do front-end Drupal development you need to understand:

• HTML
  • CSS
  • Twig
  • JavaScript (jQuery)
drupol’s picture

Thank you Jaypan! That is exactly what I was looking for.